Trapshooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Another form of enjoyment for me, just like tying flies that I'm going fish with.

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Here is why reloading is worth the hassle: It gives the illusion that the sport of shooting is less expensive than it really is.
Every time one of my friends that carry around a bag of sticks with little white balls in their pocket complains about the cost of their sport I want to just say "Hold my Beer". When I talk shotgun prices they get glassy eyed.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
A bad day at Trap with friends can only be bettered by a day at Sporting Clays.
Sacrilege, I know.
Golf is a perverse sport.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Started reloading in the mid '60s, first with 12 gauge shotshells using a Mec 600 jr, then metallic cartridges using a Lyman turret press at home and a 310 tool in the field. I find the hobby relaxing and satisfying, allowing me to roll custom loads for the firearm I am using. I've since graduated to progressives, but my older brother who shoots maybe 100rds a week still uses the Mec with much satisfaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm starting to question this myself. For what I do factory works just fine but I am curious. I bought a 12 guage load all to load slugs and have casting equipment thinking I would save a ton, I only shoot 100 slugs a year tops and gave up. I'm here to learn more to see if it may be worth it for birdshot. We all have a limited amount of both money and time, its all about finding out which is worth more.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It all started simply, .303 Lee loader, about 50 years ago. I am sure that I have never saved any money reloading, but I have shot more.
Shotshell loading is no bargain with the cost of components in Canada.
It is pretty cheap therapy, however.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been reloading since the mid sixties and have done so to save money and sometimes create specific loads based on type of game I'm hunting or whichever shooting discipline I am engaged in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just started reloading shotgun shells. It is not a hassle. Now granted, I am using a Lee, so it is not as fast as the progressive presses, but it gets the job done quickly. The only hassle might be finding components sometimes, but once you get a batch of components you can do several boxes of shells before the components have been used up.

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
Its a fun hobby, with my stash, I am still saving money compared to store prices and availability. PLUS when I've got a load worked up and I miss, I can not blame the ammo or the firearm!!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I like customizing my loads for skeet/trap. I can't always find preferred shells locally here in MA (surprise), but I can get components & also some quiet time.
I just loaded a case of STS 1 1/8 for Skat and started my regular 1 oz loads for 16 yds
I have the MEC 9000 in 12 and 16, but the Grabber in 410 (too much shoot spill with the 410 9000, I was told).

·
Banned
4 Posts
The Fates are working hard to make it a hassle for me.

There was a powder shortage, a primer shortage, target sized shot shortage, then another powder shortage. Then I lost all three of my sources of home-made shot.

Connected with all that, my local sources with very good prices stopped dealing in reloading componets. But there were even better prices a hour-and-a-half away, and life put me near that source a couple times a year. But life no longer takes me that direction, so it would require a special trip now.

So in the middle of all that I had the opportunity to lay in some new ammo at prices comparable to the cost of my reloads. It didn't seem like a huge stash of new ammo at the time.

Then a local club let its skeet field go to weeds and another overlaid its skeet field with 5-stand. When it is actually open for skeet it is like shooting on a miniature golf course. So now I am shooting very little 28 gauge or 410, and that's where I could really save. Then Covid hit, and with a family member in an extreme high-risk group, I'm pretty much self-quarantined until there is Covid vaccine.

Now my stash of new ammo seems HUGE. IF I have the opportunity to shoot though all of that ammo, I don't know if I will resume reloading. I doubt I will ever resume my former level of shooting. So IF I could save a dollar a box, my monthly savings would be less than $10/month for maybe nine or ten months, and maybe other $30-$40 a year for a local league and a few local shoots.....IF the league and local shoots resume.

All that makes it seem like resuming reloading could be a hassle. We'll see.

·
Administrator
8,214 Posts
The Fates are working hard to make it a hassle for me.

There was a powder shortage, a primer shortage, target sized shot shortage, then another powder shortage. Then I lost all three of my sources of home-made shot.

Connected with all that, my local sources with very good prices stopped dealing in reloading componets. But there were even better prices a hour-and-a-half away, and life put me near that source a couple times a year. But life no longer takes me that direction, so it would require a special trip now.

So in the middle of all that I had the opportunity to lay in some new ammo at prices comparable to the cost of my reloads. It didn't seem like a huge stash of new ammo at the time.

Then a local club let its skeet field go to weeds and another overlaid its skeet field with 5-stand. When it is actually open for skeet it is like shooting on a miniature golf course. So now I am shooting very little 28 gauge or 410, and that's where I could really save. Then Covid hit, and with a family member in an extreme high-risk group, I'm pretty much self-quarantined until there is Covid vaccine.

Now my stash of new ammo seems HUGE. IF I have the opportunity to shoot though all of that ammo, I don't know if I will resume reloading. I doubt I will ever resume my former level of shooting. So IF I could save a dollar a box, my monthly savings would be less than $10/month for maybe nine or ten months, and maybe other $30-$40 a year for a local league and a few local shoots.....IF the league and local shoots resume.

All that makes it seem like resuming reloading could be a hassle. We'll see.
Do you really think that we will let just anyone back here again?????

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
I don't chase or do rebates. I don't order stuff on line. I don't use "apps" ( don't know how to anyway. ) The cheapest 1 oz. loads I can buy now are at Wally World ( Estates for 5.76) add 8% tax and that's about 6.22 a box . Buying my components thru my club ( at current prices ) I can load for about 4.55 a box so I save about $1.67 a box . Now that may not sound like much but at the current rate of about 400 boxes a year ( my wife and I combined) that is $668.00 . For an old retired guy like me that's a chunk of change . Yes I know it takes TIME but I have a lot more time than money now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
No. If you have to ask then no, its not worth the hassle. You should probably quit.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts