Is reloading really worth the hassel? | Page 3 | Trap Shooters Forum

Is reloading really worth the hassel?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Mr. D, Jul 30, 2020 at 3:44 PM.

1. rosies dad

rosies dad Active Member

I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting. I can cut a few more corners as I shoot mostly skeet. So using lighter payloads and less expensive shot is not a big deal for targets at 20yd or closer.

2. 50ralph50

50ralph50 Well-Known Member

9000E is quiet. I just loaded 28 flats during the pandemic. Not a single problem. Easier to move to clean up around if you do have a spill or want to change a bushing, mine is to close to shelf behind it to tip the tall bottles back. Glad I bought mine. Had a 9000H once and didn't like the noise of the pump running. That is just a personal preference.

3. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Active Member

I love reloading and people tell me all the time I'm not saving much money when I reload a box especially when shells go for $5 a box. I always tell them I make a high quality shell. Cost me just under $4 and I compare my shells to sts 1145 AA 1145 federal 1145. When compared to that I'm saving money

TC and Suffdog thanked this.
  4. AJT

AJT TS Member

I, like others enjoy reloading as an extension of the shooting sports. My wife also enjoys shooting my reloads as I can make light target shotshells for her. Of course I could buy them but there is more personal satisfaction in breaking clays with my own reloads.

pbansen thanked this.
  5. John Henry

John Henry Well-Known Member

Is posting the same question by a different poster every month really worth it?

pbansen and dan-l thanked this.
  6. losclay

losclay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not so bad. It’s reading, you could always go slummin in the remdog thread LOL

7. Dave S

Dave S Well-Known Member

Nothing beats running them with your reloads when everyone else 0n the squad was using nitro's.

pbansen thanked this.
  8. John391

John391 Member

I find reloading very relaxing except when its not. What a hoot. I enjoy being able to tailor the loads to exactly what I want.
    Having said all of the above I think factory loads are wonderful and there are so many choices.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I enjoy reloading just like I enjoyed cutting grass with a nice Gravely tractor. Maybe it is just me. I always liked working on my dirt bikes just as much as riding them. Yes, I am still reloading. I have been reloading for almost sixty years now. I can make shells that I cannot buy. Right now my son and I are shooting Skeet with 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads. Try buying those.

TC, Cstraight, pbansen and 1 other person thanked this.
  10. woodperson

woodperson Active Member

Always has been worth the hassle for me. But... you have to want to do it. It does not pay.

pitandberetta and pbansen thanked this.
  11. 1straightshot

1straightshot Well-Known Member

If you think reloading isn't worth it just try and buy ammo today. Prices are crazy and you cannot find any defensive ammo. It is always good to have the ability to produce your own.
    I have never seen a shortage that has worried me.

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I probably shouldn't respond to this thread as I've been reloading since I was 5 (supervised) and really don't know any different. But reloading makes me content. If it's been a tough day, I can go load a couple hundred and I feel better. If something is troubling me I can go reload a couple hundred and feel better. If weather is not allowing me to do what I want outside I'll most likely go to my room and load. I really don't enjoy watching TV much and if I can't be outside and nothing going on here, I guess I'd rather reload than most other possibilities.

I do buy new shells when they're on sale like Winchester's and Remington's have been. I don't shoot them just I guess collect them as I would rather shoot my reloads.

pbansen, TC, phatkaw and 5 others thanked this.
  13. Mark Travis

Mark Travis Member

If reloading is a “Hassle” don’t reload. I enjoy it and you cannot buy economic 7/8ths oz 12 ga loads which I use for 16 yard Trap, Skeet and any moderately close Sporting clays targets.

templetk!!! thanked this.
  14. pbansen

pbansen TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree - it's not a hassle for me: it's quality time!
    I find it relaxing and satisfying to reload. That and you can craft a reload that does exactly what you want it to do.

I was scorekeeping for an event yesterday and took the opportunity to scrounge some shell boxes to bring home. There was a box of Remington Gun Clubs with a price tag on it from Sportsman's Warehouse - $20.99!! Good grief, Charlie Brown!

templetk!!! thanked this.