Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 years ago when I was shooting I reloaded using a MEC 9000H. Around 2010 I relocated to North Alabama and haven't shot since than. At the time I stopped reloading lead was getting so expensive it wasn't cost effective. I than sold ALL my loading equipment and supplies during a recent move (should not have done that).

Fast forward to now and I'm getting back into shooting and finding myself think well it sure would be nice if I had all that equipment I sold right now. I ran the numbers and it's still not cost effective to reload so that leaves just doing it as an extension of the sport and/or playing with special loads.

My thoughts were to keep it on the down low if I decided to pick up reloading again and buy a MEC 650N but after using a 9000H for a few years I'm think I'm spoiled on that machine or the Auto-Mate. I tend to be a all in or nothing kind of guy with my hobbies.

If you had it to do over would you reload? Do you have equipment now and don't reload?

Dennis

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Dennis, one word, YES. Mainly because its a Hobby I enjoy.

Yes components have gotten more expensive BUT shop wisely and you can still reload cheaper then factory shells. I sold all my Mec's and went back to PW 375's. Takes more time BUT what the hay, gives me something to do other then watching stupid TV shows!!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Yes. I can reload a variety of shells that are not available commercially. Plus if you shoot any subgauge it is a no brainer. As mentioned above, shop wisely by watching for sales, clearances, rebates and etc. I recently bought 30,000 Noble Sport primers @ $50 for 5,000 (sleeve). When you see deals, buy them IMO.
I also enjoy reloading as a hobby and never have to worry about ammo shortages.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Reloading shouldn’t be a “hassle”. There are two ways of looking at it. One way is an extension of the sport. It can be immersive and relaxing or a PITA because you need to get to X quantity for an event.

The other aspect is monetary. You need to lay out some cash to get going. Since I still work P/T, I factor in what my time is worth.

Only you can do the math for your particular likes, needs and wants. For me reloading doesn’t add up, but YMMV.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you find a handload that works well for you it will be equal to higher end ammo and you can load the same load all the time. If you shop for cheaper ammo you may not find the same brand everytime. Different brands will probably not shoot the same. Even The same brand may pattern differently from Lot to lot.

People compare Gun Club, Top Gun and other cheaper shell prices to reloading costs and state they are only saving .50 to .75 a box. . I compare my reloads to STS,, AA's and Federal Premium shells and save almost 3.00/box.

I don't know what i would have done during the shutdown during the pandemic if I didn't load a little over 28 flats of 12 ga,

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
As stated before, if you consider it a hassle it most definitely is not worth it. I enjoy reloading my components stocked up at 2005 prices with some 2018 priced lead and powder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I reloaded shotshells even when the cost of components was high. Why? Because I could load a shell equivalent to an STS factory load for the price of a Gun Club shell. You cannot simply focus on the money. The quality counts. I couldn't see traveling a couple/three hours to a major State shoot and shooting crappy ammo because I wanted to save a buck. I got around that by buying excellent components and supplying the labor myself.

I feel the same about reloading pistol cartridges. Sure I could shoot factory. It would be so less time consuming. However, I load nine different loads in three calibers and they all perform better than factory. For me it is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I reloaded shotshells even when the cost of components was high. Why? Because I could load a shell equivalent to an STS factory load for the price of a Gun Club shell. You cannot simply focus on the money. The quality counts. I couldn't see traveling a couple/three hours to a major State shoot and shooting crappy ammo because I wanted to save a buck. I got around that by buying excellent components and supplying the labor myself.

I feel the same about reloading pistol cartridges. Sure I could shoot factory. It would be so less time consuming. However, I load nine different loads in three calibers and they all perform better than factory. For me it is worth the trouble.
A lot of the shot available on the market now does not produce patterns that equal a factory STS.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just finished loading 4 boxes of 12 ga on an old 650 without too much investment in time. It was a stressful day at work. It was nice to open up the garage where I reload, turn on some music, and pull the handle down about 100 times without worrying about much other than a nicely formed crimp on a nice looking STS that’s my preferred hull to reload. During that time I think about shooting, visualize shots, and otherwise decompress. There’s a Walmart 10 mins from my house with shelves filled with ammo. Much more enjoyable to be at home pulling the handle than running through that store. As others routinely state - it’s a natural extension of the sport - I agree.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I still reload some, mostly sub gauge and some low pressure loads for my side x sides.
I probably wouldn't jump back into it much except for two things, most WalMarts or any other stores around here don't carry much in the way of ammo and I have been caught short a couple of times. I probably have enough components to load 10,000 rounds in the garage if I needed to, it will probably last me another 10 years or more.
I generally buy shells in bulk when I can catch a good price. This year I have probably loaded 3,000 practice rounds just because we haven't been anywhere to pick up any.

Reactions: JACK

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a good day, the cost of components roughly equals the cost of factory ammo on sale, IF I don't count my time, but I don't care. I get the custom loads I want when I want them, and I enjoy the time at the bench. Concentrating on an important task pushes everything else out of your mind. Reloading is as much a part of my shooting hobby as popping caps on the range.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
First I like reloading. I reload all my singles loads and use Remington Nitro loads for Handicap, why two reason the STS Remington Shot is Great and I get the hulls to reload.
Do I save money reloading yes a little. Could I afford New Remington STS target loads for all my shooting yes.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts