Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth going to a competition if I only average between 70-80 out of 100? I have only shot trap 3 times, once last winter and then the last two weekends. Total I've shot 300 rounds, 125 with an Remington 870 Magnum and 175 with a Stoeger Longfowler. I plan to go much more often now that I have my own gun (Stoeger) and have the ability to go. My local club Hog Heaven is having their Fall Festival in September and I'd like to participate in it, but wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to try.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
It depends on your finances and your competitive nature. Shooting in competition is expensive. Another idea might be to keep shooting for fun for a while, and volunteer to help at the Fall shoot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am competitive, but am fully aware that I am new to the sport and won't be the best right out of the gate.

I haven't decided whether I will compete at the Fall Festival or not, but I do atleast plan to volunteer so I can get more experience and can be in the environment of a competitive shoot. I have just as much fun sometimes just watching others shoot. I am fortunate to have a very well versed group of men at my church who shoot twice a week, and are invested in building the sport and helping others.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I can't afford to travel to "out of town" shoots, but Hog Heaven is only about 20 mins from my house so those shoots will be the ones that I try to attend.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends on your finances and your competitive nature. Shooting in competition is expensive. Another idea might be to keep shooting for fun for a while, and volunteer to help at the Fall shoot.
Do you have to compete in multiple events or could I just compete in 1 or 2 events? I didn't know if there is a requirement to the number of events you have to participate in at a competition.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Most registered shoots give you the option of just shooting in certain events.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
HECK YES!!!!! Last time I checked this stuff is all about having fun, so go have some!! Tournaments can be a blast

Reactions: MasterMason0719

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
If you don't go---You will never know. It's the only way to find out if you really like competitive shooting. Some do and some don't.

I attended my first one, kind of like you are thinking. That was in 1987.

You can shoot what event you want, you do not have to shoot all of the events.

We have a number of people that have started at out club. The only complaint I hear is, "Why didn't I start this sooner"

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Registered
670 Posts
Give it a whirl. As Baron said above, sign up for the singles and shoot away. You don't have to be in the winners circle to have a great time. Have fun and I bet in the end you'll be glad that you went and shot. Good luck! - Jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
I felt the same way two years ago when I started. I was worried about embarrassing myself in front of all those experienced experts. I told everyone I didn't care what I shot and just wanted to shoot. Before long I started to believe what I was telling them. In reality it bothered me every target I dropped.

Looing back the combination of shooting a lot and getting mad at myself made me better. And all of the guys who put up with my pathetic shooting gave me a lot of encouragement congratulated me when I started to shoot better scores.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Go for it! I shot quite a bit of practice and thought it was only slightly pricer to shoot competition (I don't travel far). I started with scores a little higher than you mentioned but mine dropped a bit because of the pressure of the competition, different venues, site pictures, wind and lighting. All in all I think I got better quicker by shooting competitions this early and it was a replacement for dropping out of golfing competitively.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Plus you’ll meet a lot of great guys/gals at the events – yes you’ll also meet the occasional guy having a bad day, but most of the time the next time you see them they are all smiles.

Heck every event even has the “sidewalk” shooter(s), you know the guy(s) who is all decked out in shooting gear but doesn’t actually shoot, they are having as much fun as anyone else and always have a good yarn to spin and free advice to share.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts