Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been doing fine with my MEC SizeMaster and it paid for itself awhile ago. However, pulling a handle 6 times for each shell and the inevitable occasional tip over of an uncrimped shell while moving it to another station is getting old.

I’m in the queue for a powered reloader and the price is locked in but Im’m wondering if buying this in the next few months is a waste of money. I would really like to have and use one. I have enough supplies to reload for awhile.

I'm concerned about getting components a couple years down the road, others who don’t reload getting shotgun shells and the clubs closing down because no one is showing up. Yes the clubs for people of greater means will do just fine I’m sure but I don’t go to those exclusively and they are often more pricey.

Next year it is predicted that the economy will take a “2008 Tailspin”. That would drive down the price of components and shells since less people would have jobs and fewer people of average means would be able to afford them or go to the clubs to shoot as well.

I don’t want to left with $1000’s of dollars of new reloading equipment and nothing to do with it in a couple years.

Buy new or just keep reloading with the old one?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I’ve been doing fine with my MEC SizeMaster and it paid for itself awhile ago. However, pulling a handle 6 times for each shell and the inevitable occasional tip over of an uncrimped shell while moving it to another station is getting old.

I’m in the queue for a powered reloader and the price is locked in but Im’m wondering if buying this in the next few months is a waste of money. I would really like to have and use one. I have enough supplies to reload for awhile.

I'm concerned about getting components a couple years down the road, others who don’t reload getting shotgun shells and the clubs closing down because no one is showing up. Yes the clubs for people of greater means will do just fine I’m sure but I don’t go to those exclusively and they are often more pricey.

Next year it is predicted that the economy will take a “2008 Tailspin”. That would drive down the price of components and shells since less people would have jobs and fewer people of average means would be able to afford them or go to the clubs to shoot as well.

I don’t want to left with $1000’s of dollars of new reloading equipment and nothing to do with it in a couple years.

I'd take a serious look at how much you shoot, the priced availability of components, how long you expect to shoot and see if your reloader will pay for itself.
Some shooters will always want to reload their shells, especially the "games" shooters, and don't forget to consider your time.

When I used to shoot registered targets, reloading was essential. Over the years I've had MEC, P-W, and Spolar reloaders. But now that I'm a senior and only shoot about 2000 trap targets a year, it really doesn't make that much of a difference to me. Right now, I'll reload my weekly trap league and practice shells. For the special shoots, I'll shoot new.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you're reloading to save money, stick with what you've got.

If you enjoy reloading and shooting, don't worry too much about what the screeching heads on the "news" say will happen. Their job is to keep your eyeballs glued on the screen so they can sell you stuff.

These things go in cycles so even if there's a lull and you end up putting your stuff away for awhile, chances are good you'll dust them off again at some point in the future. If the current shortages have taught us anything, it's that ammo and components don't go bad for a long, long time if stored properly.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I don't see any upside to waiting. Trying to predict the future is a waste of time. It's reasonable to assume component availability will start to come back in the next year and when it does, you will be set. In the meantime, you can learn the ropes of your new reloader.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can't go wrong with a powered loader over what you are now using. SO much easier to make 100 shells. Yes, I do it with both style machines. It's also good to have different machines set up and ready to rock with different recipes.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If you want to upgrade your reloader, and you find components, you will still want that press. Having one already puts you closer to your goal. Unlike a new horse, a press does not need to be fed or it's stall cleaned if you don't use it for a few months, and the price will likely climb, as inflation is eating our buying power daily.

If you find what you want at a price that you think is fair, it is time to purchase. STOP SHOPPING! You will drive yourself insane thinking about "what if". I used to worry so much about timing. It is not worth the worry.

I would feel bad when the dealer would have a $1000 discount the month after I bought the car. It bothered my mind even though I was happy with the car and happy with the price. I would sign a new mortgage and 2 months later rates would drop 3/4 %. I would even stew if Midway put reloading dies a few bucks off after I already bought mine. That will always happen, forget about it.

I look at it this way. I had a need (or a want), I found a solution, I had the money. The need (or want) has been satisfied. Period, go onto something different. Life has plenty of things that demand attention, why get stuck on things that you cannot change?

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you want it, and can afford it,I’d say buy one, I don’t see reloaders getting cheaper than they are now, what the future Will be like who knows, that said I have owned a Mec size master, a 366, and a PW 800b, And if I ever buy another one it will be another Mec size master

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months ago, had just come back to trap shooting still had my old pacific single stage and plenty of components after about a month of loading it dawned on me that this sucks 5 pulls for one shell obviously it would do but being a little better off financially then I was ten years ago I said what the heck and ordered a 9000, well still haven’t received it but in the meantime stumbled upon a used one the guy only wanted 150 bucks for so I bought it cleaned it up and have been in heaven over the single stage. Still waiting for the new one to be delivered I’ll probably give the used one to my brother but I’d say if ya have the money pick the one ya want and upgrade life’s short enjoy the things we have and do and this has made reloading much more enjoyable for me

·
Registered
1972 BT 99 Winchester SuperX model 1
168 Posts
My 366 has served me well. If I had an extra 5000 laying around I would get a Spolar. Progressive loaders are better. My dad shot with a guy that would reload the same 100 hulls between each event. A single stage Mec Jr. In the back of his pickup mounted to a board.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
It’s a great time to buy a new reloader but a terrible time for buying reloading components, power, shot, and primers. Go for it I love to reload my own shells and have fun.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've been loading on Mec 9000g for quite sometime. I bought both of mine used and paid $125.00 for the first one and $125 Canadian for the second.
Had a friend who had a hobby type shop go through both loaders. Cleaning and adjustment and added a couple of missing parts on the first one and they load famously. About 3 years ago he had a couple of 9000GN new in the box for just over $525.00. I stopped in Tacoma and looked at the same loader for $650.00 or so. Now I see that they are $726.00 on Midway and not available at this time.
I'm glad I have purchased mine at the time that I did and am happy having 2 functional Mec Progressive loaders. I also have the jig fixture which makes switching out loaders a dream as I have my Grabber I purchased new in 1981 and a Grabber in 28 ga. I purchased about 5 years ago or so.

PD

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
I think it would be in your best interest to wait and see what happens to the new prices of reloading components. The prices might end up being more than the cost of new shells? The reloading market could just dry up as well?

You also have to remember that, even though you pull the handle only once per shell. The force needed is 6 times as hard pull that handle, compared to your single stage press!!! I see lots of retired shooters move back to the easier to use single stage presses around here. Auto-mates and hydro machines are expensive, take lots of time to set-up and can't be moved after you do!!!

I expect to see many shooters stop shooting in the next year or two!!! So it would make sense that we will see lots of used reloaders for sale here in the for sale section as they retire from shooting. By then you will know the cost of reloading components and could get a nice deal on a lightly used reloader? I hope I gave you something to think about. Since their are no new reloaders to buy right now. The price of used ones are selling for to much, to be a good buy right now. I would wait and see myself. Good Luck to Ya. don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
WTH???

Don't buy one ! You might die before UPS gets it here.

Reactions: Ajax

·
Registered
466 Posts
I ordered a MEC 900H in August and MEC told the dealer they should receive it in December.

In the meantime, I am gathering components as they become somewhat available.

A little of this and a little of that.

By December I will be ready to reload during the winter.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts