Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gun store in San Carlos, Calif. last month when I was out for Dad's 93 birthday. One of the salesmen told me that California is all steel for hunting and many of the gun clubs are going to steel because of lead and the state government. I was looking at a nice Browning Superposed 12g., 30" bbls and I said I would be back in March to see if he still had it. He said it would still be there, and proceeded to explain all of the above to me. Just wondering if one of ya'll could fill me in on all of that. Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
451 Posts
For hunting, "no lead can be used when taking wildlife with a firearm."

For clay sports, not yet.

All the clubs around me are all lead shot clubs. There has neven been a mention of going to non-lead. CA sucks when it comes to guns and gun games.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm about 20 miles south of San Carlos and none of the clubs where I shoot require you to shoot steel. In fact, steel is prohibited at all the ones I am familiar with because of ricochets from the concrete houses. I'm not shooting for at least a couple of months because of heart surgery, but come on down to Sunnyvale and shoot a few rounds if you buy that Browning.

Mike

·
Banned
531 Posts
I believe Lead will be gone in just a matter of time, or new design and somehow capture system that wont let lead to leach into ground waters, or just a ban on lead shot totally. California leads the way and its coming. They have already required all Automobile manufactures that sell cars in California , all wheel weights can not be lead. New Car Manufactures cannot sell there cars in California if they use lead wheel weights and now the same push here in NJ for the no lead wheel weights. Its coming so be prepared? But if its mandatory for all it will be a even playing field

·
Registered
204 Posts
The old Pacific Rod and Gun Club on Lake Merced had to go steel only in the 90's. Membership significantly declined as a result, and SF forced the club to close about 15 years later when it declined to renew the club's lease.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
One of my favorite "travel" shoots is the Western Open at Stockton.....would probably kill it if they went to steel.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
In my area there is only one club that requires steel shot. That club is located on national forest land and claims that's the reason for the requirement. Hunting is non toxic for all firearms.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The old Pacific Rod and Gun Club on Lake Merced had to go steel only in the 90's. Membership significantly declined as a result, and SF forced the club to close about 15 years later when it declined to renew the club's lease.
Frank, wasn't hat because the lead shot was going in to Lake Merced? I only shot there a couple of times many years ago, but that is what I remember. I can ask, several guys I shoot with used to shoot there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes. The skeet and trap fields shot out over the water. Lead shot sank to the bottom which was then covered by sediment. Lead concentration in the water was low until the city started dredging it all up. Also, naming it a "lake" is a bit of a stretch... more like a large pond. For more info see: Gun club in crosshairs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts