Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Used 1999 Kolar Sporting with original chokes. Do you think it is worth the money to buy new chokes? If so Muller vs Briley?

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
If you feel the need to spend some money, go ahead. Are you looking for a different constriction? If not, I would say they are as good as any you could buy.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Can we assume that they are flush mount and you will be using the gun to shoot trap, then no. If you are also shooting sporting clays then yes. When shooting sporting clays it is much easier to change chokes and also to see what choke you have in the barrel.

If the chokes are extended and you are shooting trap and sporting clays, then no.

I do not like notches and/or ports on my chokes. So if you are like me then yes. I like Wrights and Angle Port without the ports.

Jason

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
No, unless you want a choke with another constriction. Then I would buy another factory choke. So they all match each other. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Buy a gun with a fixed full if you want to shoot and call it good. You can mail a check for the money I saved you.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
I picked up a Used 1999 Kolar Sporting with original chokes. Do you think it is worth the money to buy new chokes? If so Muller vs Briley?
Why do you think you need/want new chokes? Serious question.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan to use the gun for sporting clays. Current chokes are extended and I don’t plan on adding any additional constrictions. I got a deal on the gun and had some money left over on what I had planned on spending. While I was looking at newer models etc.... everyone was commenting on the newer titanium chokes etc.... and I never really knew if that ultimately made a difference. My assumption was there was not much of a difference but wanted to ask people with more experience. I will pocket the leftover money, thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Titanium chokes are lighter. So if you feel your Kolar is front heavy then those chokes may help. If the balance is ok, then just go ahead and enjoy your new to you Kolar.

Jason

·
Registered
575 Posts
I vote no on new chokes. Since you have some money left over, you might want to consider having the gun professionally fitted to you or perhaps take a lesson-maybe both.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can we assume that they are flush mount and you will be using the gun to shoot trap, then no. If you are also shooting sporting clays then yes. When shooting sporting clays it is much easier to change chokes and also to see what choke you have in the barrel.

If the chokes are extended and you are shooting trap and sporting clays, then no.

I do not like notches and/or ports on my chokes. So if you are like me then yes. I like Wrights and Angle Port without the ports.

Jason
I just purchased a set of Beretta Optima hp 3/4 extended because I was taking up sporting clays and the flush mounted were difficult to change quickly and also needed a wrench which I often forgot to bring![smile].
Got a very good deal on them which prompted the purchase.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
You may want to keep some of that money in your safe with your shotgun. If you have the stage I trigger in your 1999 shotgun. You may have to up-grade your trigger down the road. There is no need to upgrade your trigger, unless you start to have trouble with it. Just a FYI as it were. Now, go out and try to wear out your shotgun. Don't forget to break em all Jeff

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ryantrojan,
If you really need new chokes, and between your two listed choices, I would go with the Briley.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've gone through exactly what your going through now. Bought different chokes looking for the magic choke but when all said and done went back to the Perazzi factory haven't looked back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts