Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you really want to make ATA trap harder, stop allowing people to pre-squad. No more picking the best time to shoot, no more picking the best fields close to the parking or club house, everyone should get a chance to shoot with the new shooter, slow shooter, fast shooter, equipment that doesn't work shooter, etc.

How often do you see a 200 or 100 from a person that didn’t pre-squad, or have a group they always shoot with?

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
More important than that is don't let shooters wear tennis shoes or shorts either. All those 100's will fall by the wayside.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't see where your proposition would make shooting that much "less easy." The main benefits to presquadding is by-passing the every-day lines trying to find a squad at a big shoot (harder in handicap looking for same yardages). Also, it's nice for those who travel a long way to get in an early squad on the last day so they're not pulling out late in the day to head home.

And, while I've enjoyed meeting and shooting with randomly-chosen squad members, it's nice to shoot with friends.

As far as that 200-straight shooter? I don't see him breaking 190 if he shoots with strangers or newbies. He's likely good enough to deal with "amateur" distractions.

just my thoughts :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Gussers, that's reserved for the shoot offs after running 200! And I agree with the Lit, AAA shooters practice in all weather conditions, light conditions, and distractions are just part of how strong your concentration is! AAA shooters are there because of their average, not a couple good rounds!

·
Super Moderator
4,963 Posts
Maybe just put people who always shoot with the same people into a higher class. And add penalty yardage too.

So instead of target minimums you have to show squad variability. And diversity too.

If you don't have variable, diverse squads you get put in a higher class and get put on penalty yardage.

I like it. I think I'll email the ATA.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you really want to see how well someone adapts... Require them to shoot a gun that is supplied to them. Give them 1 or 2 rounds of practice to see how the gun shoots, then start the event.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
And who pays for the cost of supplying those guns?

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
Well okay, but it should also include one brand of shell, all the same loading.

Reactions: MasterMason0719

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
Why not go direct to the top man himself? Contact Obama.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That would be a good thing too. Have a specific shell for everyone to use. The larger shoots may not have an issue with getting sponsorships from gun and ammo manufacturers, but the smaller "local" shoots it may not be as easy.

Quite honestly there's not a cheap simple solution to make things more of a level playing field. It requires more spending on someone's part. Either the club(or someone) to supply guns or shooters to buy 1 particular new shell. You may actually defeat your purpose by pushing out the common shooter though.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
I think the playing field is as level as it can be. Many people just want a trophy for just showing up to a shoot. In any other sporting event, you have one winner, one runner up and one who came in third. In trap singles we have 5-6 classes with first second and second in each class, people over 65, 70, under 18, female, etc. etc. same for yardage groups and a HOA person, meaning they played all events and shot the best scores in each. How much more can we even the playing field? Many of us are already numb from the attempts to make it more fair for everybody. Sometimes it can't be done.

Perhaps the answer is to tell people to go try their hand at International a Trap. Fewer places to shoot, fewer shooters, but by gawd they will be happier.

Reactions: Roger C and t-bar

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think the playing field is as level as it can be. Many people just want a trophy for just showing up to a shoot. In any other sporting event, you have one winner, one runner up and one who came in third. In trap singles we have 5-6 classes with first second and second in each class, people over 65, 70, under 18, female, etc. etc. same for yardage groups and a HOA person, meaning they played all events and shot the best scores in each. How much more can we even the playing field? Many of us are already numb from the attempts to make it more fair for everybody. Sometimes it can't be done.
I completely agree. It can't get much more level than it already is. With as many classes and groups there are about 12 "winners" in each sub-event. You can only win 1 trophy per event, otherwise the same person could win about 3 per event (overall, age, class).

I'm not lobbying for change, change isn't always a good thing. I know how hard the AAA and AA shooters work to get where they are. They put in the practice and work hard to get as good as they are. Regardless of my recommendation to use a strange gun or 1 specific shell, I truly think the best shooters will still be the best because of their knowledge and skill.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
How often do you see a 200 or 100 from a person that didn’t pre-squad, or have a group they always shoot with?
One of the main reasons I shoot registered events is because of the people I squad with...we are all close friends who shoot together all the time. Not interested in regularly shooting with people I don't know.

More important than that is don't let shooters wear tennis shoes or shorts either. All those 100's will fall by the wayside.
The LAST thing we need is a "dress code"!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
You could go to three hole targets (ducks head).

People say 'attendance will go down', etc. if that is employed. Well, attendance is down now without it. Wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
29,315 Posts
Dress code? Sure why not? Let's go back to side X sides too.

image.jpg

1 - 20 of 81 Posts