Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting an old Browning Special Sporting for trap for a number of years and this year I've really been working on getting a consistent mount with it. I've noticed that when I have the gun mounted in the spot the feels right...the spot that makes the gun shoot where I look...the spot that pretty much guarantees a broken bird...the top edge of the butt stock (heel?) is actually above my shoulder, not making contact with any part of my body. That has me wondering if one of these guns with an extremely high comb, like the Kolar High Profile might be right for me (because the comb would contact my cheek while the rest of the stock was much lower on my shoulder). Does that logic make sense, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
The critical dimension that establishes POI is the height of your eye over the rib. If you change this dimension by "raising the comb", your POI will be higher. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just that it WILL change your POI. If you want more of your butt pad in contact with your shoulder, the pad adjuster may give you what you want. -Ed

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Phil supplies the best answer possible. Your gun lacks adequate "drop at the heel." That means that, because of the height of your comfortable gun mount, the comb is too far below the level of your eye (and you probably need to lean your neck forward and tilt your head back to put your cheek on the comb, neither of which is good).

The pad adjusters Phil mentioned allow lowering the entire recoil pad and by so doing increase the drop at the heel. they also allow moving the recoil pad left and right as well as rotating it.

If you have one installed between the stock and the recoil pad, also check the pitch on your stock. Pitch is the angle formed by the recoil pad and the rib, about 90 degrees.

To check pitch, mount your gun with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height. Notice how the pad makes contact with your shoulder as you finish the mount by bringing the gun back to your shoulder. The pitch is correct if the whole recoil pad, top to bottom makes simultaneous contact.

If it does not, consider having the stock's pitch corrected when the adjuster is installed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would try a pad adjuster first, that should help you keep your mount where youre comfortable and allow you to make the adjustments so the gun is at your cheek when in your mount zone.

Personally, I crawl my stocks so I enjoy some added LOP as well as some Monte Carlo on my guns. Some criticize my mount, some don’t know the difference, but I shoot best and feel most comfortable my way.

Do you find yourself being more of a crawler or a heads up shooter? Are you experiencing any discomfort the way things are set up now?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ye was was fitted buy a very competent gun fitter. Just need options to make it permanent
Send it off to Tron the way it is have him make up what you need . Looks like you need pitch spacers, an adjustable butt plate and an adjustable comb cut into the stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts