Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If a shotgun is not being moved, e.g., being shot from a rest, is the shotgun pellet pattern round like a circle ?

Obviously, the individual pellets from a single pattern would have an irregular perimeter, but would the average of many patterns superimposed on each other be round ?

As opposed to elliptical ?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Here are a couple of real patterns since data is preferable to talk any day.

Basically round with uneven edges seems like a reasonable description. Or, as Halfmile said, a rough circle.

By the way, Mac1, the Winston/Baker videos made it clear the while the shot-cloud may be bell-shaped, the small part is toward the front, not the other way around.

Neil

·
Registered
476 Posts
Big Don maybe throwing those triangle patterns at those tough GRUDGE MATCH targets was not a wise thing to do. You may have had better results if you would have borrowed some shells from dr. Longshot that had nice round patterns. I'm snowed in and I really don't have anything better to do.

Dave

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
LOL Dave

Not that it really matters but it seems like I read somewhere that the pellets in the pattern don't stay the same place in the bell but the ones that start out in front, since they receive more wind resistance than those in the back which draft from others, usually end up in the back. Don't know whether this is true or not, but it sounds plausable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.