Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A person traded in a Brno 270 rifle in good condition and I can purchase it for $200.00 or less but have never had any experience with these guns. I have seen a few O/U that were good looking guns but never shot them. I think they are all made in Czekisovokia(spelling). Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to run up to the store and check again for the model number but it doesn't have double set triggers. It is made on a Mauser action with the roll down/up type safety.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it just says model 98. I bought it for $175.00 and it has a sling, stock shell holder and an older Metal Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40(very clear) so I think I did good. I'll find out this afternoon when I try to shoot it. A fellow traded it even up for a Super Comanche single shot 410 pistol we normally sell for $169.00. Check shows it's not hot. Jackie B.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
its an excellent rifle...as close to hand made as you can get ...I have a full mannlicher in the back my safe in 7x64mm Brenneke caliber..almost identical to the 280 Remington...a fine gun it is and work keeping and shooting

·
Registered
911 Posts
The BRNO Mausers were some of the best of the Mausers ever made. The new CZ Mausers are kind of the evolution of the BRNO. All of the high end heavy Caliber Mausers were built on BRNO actions.

If you got that gun for $175.00 you cut a fat hog, and you need to sit down and have a drink and congratulate yourself. Deals like that don't come along every day.

You done good.

Randy

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is one picture of the gun if I did it right. I was wrong about the scope as it was an old Simmons but it one of their better quality ones.One problem I have with the gun is the high rise mount. I know I have seen some kind of safety where you don't have to have the high mount. I know absolutely nothing about the mauser actions. Jackie B.
shootingjack_2008_03034.jpg

shootingjack_2008_03035.jpg

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marv, there is a good(lot) bit of travel on the trigger although it is pretty smooth. I shot it a few times yesterday but need to fine tune it. Anxious to replace the safety so I can drop the scope. Jackie B.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Several years ago, John Hall was showing an original Bro rifle in .14 caliber at a shoot out west. I'm sure it was a necked down something. Neat little gun. Jimmy Borum

·
Registered
635 Posts
The high mounts may have as much to do with bolt throw clearance as they do operation of the safety. I'd suggest you check the bolt operating clearance before investing in new rings just to be sure. You want to be sure you can cycle it rapidly and without interference if you're going to hunt it.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help and info. I've decided to hang on to this one and see what it will do, after I replace the safety. I'll be sure to check the bolt clearance first before I order the new safety. My wife keeps asking me why I keep buying guns and I'm at the point where I can't give her a good answer. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
On my Brno #1 .22, the trigger has a lot of "slack". However, you can also push the trigger forward, rather than pulling it. When it's fired this way there is no creep at all.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This elcheapo rifle has proven to be a tack driver(to me). I fine tuned it today at 100yards and it shot a 3 shot 1 1/2 inch group off of a lead sled. I'm not near as steady as I once was and believe some folks could have done better. LOL Jackie B.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Blizzard, the slop in the trigger is deliberately built into the trigger assembly. What you apparently have is the BRNO single-set trigger as it operates exactly as you describe. You may possibly have a CZ rifle in .22LR as CZ is the current name for the commercial rifles built by BRNO and the single-set trigger is available. BRNO was the name of the national armory of Czechoslovakia before Britain and France gave that country to Adolf Hitler to appease him. It survived Hitler and now operates under the same name but the country has changed names, it is now the Czech Republic

I have a CZ Hornet 24" heavy barrel that is the most accurate Hornet I've ever owned (6 of them at different times) and it has the single-set trigger. The only drawbacks to the CZ rifles is that damned box magazine hanging out the bottom and the fact that you have to use their 'scope rings a la Ruger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.