Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
Ljutic
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using up some old #8 shot and have ran down to the end of it. I will be switching to 7.5’s from here and was not sure if i need to change a bushing or if the 1oz bushing stays the same between shot sizes?
From the charts i have found i do not see anything that calls out what size shot the charts are based on.
Thanks in Advance for any clarifications.

· Registered
15,227 Posts
Theoretically, it should be different, in practice it's close enough, esp since most bars and bushings don't throw a perfect charge anyways, and there is enough variation from mfg to mfg, and often even from lot to lot with the same mfg and size that trying to chase a perfect shot charge is an exercise in futility.

Hornady bushings are sold in terms of shot size and charge.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
If you put the charge of shot on a scale you will see a difference between shot. I modify all my charge bars to achieve the exact wt on a good scale. I weigh all my powder and shot charges to get great reloads. Just a pet peeve of mine, a carryover from rifle reloading. But I always say the worst looking shells are shot by the best shooters.

· Premium Member
8,105 Posts
The volume of shot dropped wiil be the same but the weight of the shot will be a bit lighter. Because the #7 1/2 shot pellets are bigger, there is more air in the drop than there is with the #8. To exaggerate the point, what do you think the weight of the number of 00 buck pellets you can fit in that bushing would be. Answer, a lot less than one ounce. This is why Hornady sells bushing based on shot size. The primary reason they do it is to reduce the chances of someone having an over-weight load of #9s by using a generic 1 oz. bushing.

And, if you try to do what North Ron does, you will drive yourself crazy. Both the shot size and pellet weight varies not only from brand to brand but from lot to lot. Magnum shot with higher antimony content weighs less than magnum shot with lower antimony content, so you need more pellets, and a bit larger volume bushing, to get the same weight. Eagle shot typically has smaller pellets than most others. The stuff is all over the map.

· Registered
13,008 Posts
Bushings don't "weigh" shot charges. They drop by volume. In # 8s and 7-1/2 it drops pretty "close" ( though not exact ) to the same weight by volume . #9s are a little more different. Some company's ( MEC for instance ) offer bars that drop slightly different. Their " Skeet special " bars made for #9 shot are examples of this.

· Registered
6,256 Posts
1 oz. is 1 oz. doesn't matter if your loading 7.5, 8, 8.5, or 9.
Sure, if you load the shot by hand and weigh it out first. :unsure: Most of us use loaders that throw shot by volume.

Now, if you drop an ounce of 7 1/2's and an ounce of 8's off a roof, which will hit the ground first? :sneaky:

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Sure, if you load the shot by hand and weigh it out first. :unsure: Most of us use loaders that throw shot by volume.

Now, if you drop an ounce of 7 1/2's and an ounce of 8's off a roof, which will hit the ground first? :sneaky:
Depends on the size of the bushing 🤔

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
This reminds me of when one of my HS teachers was saying that two objects of the same weight would hit the ground at the same time. I argued. To prove my point I removed two pages out of my notebook, crumpled one into a ball and left the other as it was. Stood up then dropped them.
I won the argument but wound up in detention. It was well worth it 🤣

· Registered
1,828 Posts
This reminds me of when one of my HS teachers was saying that two objects of the same weight would hit the ground at the same time. I argued. To prove my point I removed two pages out of my notebook, crumpled one into a ball and left the other as it was. Stood up then dropped them.
I won the argument but wound up in detention. It was well worth it 🤣
But if the two pages were in a vacuum chamber, they would fall at the same rate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.