Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... to not use these wads.
Ok, I have been buying components from an old buddy of mine, he only has CF 28ga wads. I only use HS 28ga wads. I have 4 CFs just laying around and I decided to mic. them...
The HSs come out to .52 and the CFs are .50 - I cut one of my hulls just above the brass & stuck 'em both in, there really isn't that much of a difference in how they fit. A little, but not much...
I can get the wads for a good price & the Dude only lives 15 minuets away vs. a touch over an hour to Dennys' in Ohio. (cool guy also)
I'm curios to see what yins think. I could load a couple and 'candle' them to see if there is any/much powder migration? Then shoot them back to back with a couple with 'the right stuff', but I doubt that I'd be able to tell any difference...

I know straying from recipes ain't recommended, but it's only 2/100 of an inch - big deal, or not a big deal?
28ga wads 002.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^ I was hoping you wouldn't say that ! lol
Are you going offa experience or...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
... to not use these wads.
Ok, I have been buying components from an old buddy of mine, he only has CF 28ga wads. I only use HS 28ga wads. I have 4 CFs just laying around and I decided to mic. them...
The HSs come out to .52 and the CFs are .50 - I cut one of my hulls just above the brass & stuck 'em both in, there really isn't that much of a difference in how they fit. A little, but not much...
I can get the wads for a good price & the Dude only lives 15 minuets away vs. a touch over an hour to Dennys' in Ohio. (cool guy also)
I'm curios to see what yins think. I could load a couple and 'candle' them to see if there is any/much powder migration? Then shoot them back to back with a couple with 'the 'right stuff', but I doubt that I'd be able to tell any difference...

I know straying from recipes ain't recommended, but it's only 2/100 of an inch - big deal, or not a big deal?
View attachment 1668303
played with this. seem to remember cf wads would work in hs hulls but hs wads not work in cf hulls. possibly other way around. been a long time ago. i still have 1000's of cf hulls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want something to compare it too look at the 7mm rem mag and the 6.5 creedmore. Cases are obviously very different but the bullets are only half a millimeter different. Half a millimeter is also roughly 2/100 of an inch. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Definitely NOT reloading.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
That's not to say it would be UNSAFE to use CF wads in HS hulls, just likely won't preform satisfactorily. Load up a few and give them a try, if you're happy with the results that's all that matters (and aren't shooting where the score matters that much).

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I was told by a friends brother that his cousin's mom said she had heard it didn't matter. Not to mention what the frig did she know.
I don't know if that info is better than the reputable published data.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
If you happen to have some Remington STS hulls you can use the AACF wads in those hulls.
You can, but the HS wads work better in those as well as they have very little taper.

In fact, the AAHS (CB and Duster), Remington, and Federal wads pretty much work in any of the 3 hulls (a friend loaded Remington wads in the AAHS hull, I load Fed wads in the AAHS hull).

The only anomaly is the AAHS factory wad, it doesn't seem to fit well in the AAHS hull unless you use an incredibly dense powder (even Longshot is borderline).

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Waiting for Hippie to come by and send this thread to the dumpster.

I'd set them aside in case you get some CS hulls.
Pretty Funny !

Skeet-mans first couple posts straitened me out.
I only have 3 CF wads, and the option to buy 6-8 bags at a good price.
It isn't worth it to me...

A month ago I sold a buddy a whole garbage bag full of CFs and STSs and a few hundred CF wads. I didn't really need all of that $h!t 'cause I'm happy with the loads I shoot now.
Figures that these wads weren't known to me then... oh well

·
Registered
770 Posts
I don't load 28 GA but this has me scratching my head and thinking, should NOT be a problem at all.
Attached are pictures of Federal 12s3 and 12s0 wads. Included are the OEM, Downrange and Claybuster version of each. The powder cup diameter varies from .705 to .730. Short cup diameter difference is .025. For reference a TGT12 OEM wad measures .694 and it still works well in a straight wall hulls. All three 12S3 wads work and work well.
The right wad will work the best, that is for sure. However, based off what I have experienced and seen in 12ga applications,I can't believe in a 28ga its going to make any difference you could tell.
20190109_172939.jpg
20190109_173000.jpg

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
^^^ Did you type that right ?
Yes.

Winchester uses a ball powder in their factory shells, supposedly Winchester 572 powder.

Whatever they use in the factory shell, either the powder is much denser than even Longshot (which is the densest powder I've tried w/ factory AAHS wads), or they use a different wad in their factory shells (this is definitely the case with the AA 410, the factory wad is completely different than the wad they sell for reloaders) or a combination of both.

·
Registered
13,908 Posts
I don't load 28 GA but this has me scratching my head and thinking, should NOT be a problem at all.
Attached are pictures of Federal 12s3 and 12s0 wads. Included are the OEM, Downrange and Claybuster version of each. The powder cup diameter varies from .705 to .730. Short cup diameter difference is .025. For reference a TGT12 OEM wad measures .694 and it still works well in a straight wall hulls. All three 12S3 wads work and work well.
The right wad will work the best, that is for sure. However, based off what I have experienced and seen in 12ga applications,I can't believe in a 28ga its going to make any difference you could tell. View attachment 1668439 View attachment 1668443
.020 difference at basically 3/4" is much lower % of change than .020 difference at basically 1/2"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts