Trapshooters Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
It may be the norm for a while. Eventually it will come down. It will come down more when imported ammo returns. How far? ????

We had a price spike when the value of the dollar plunged, making imports more expensive. The value of the dollar went up, and the price of imported ammo came down. So did U.S. promo ammo.

The first wave of imports caught the U.S. ammo companies unaware. By the second wave the U.S. ammo makers were ready and countered with Gun Clubs, Top Guns, Super-Targets. Those were a little less costly to make, but not that much. Mostly the U.S. ammo makers cut their margins. A bitter pill to swallow, but "half a loaf is better than none". And they preserved market share. Nothing is harder to do than win back market share that has been lost. And market share is a major factor in long-term profitability.
It may "Come down" from gougers prices but,it won't Come down to where it WAS . The days of $5.00 a box shells is GONE ! I think you can count on 7 to 8 bucks a box for promos and 9 to 10 for premium loads. Inflation will hold the prices high due to production and shipping cost.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The problem with all this sudden increase is that some people do not have the luxury of paying the new higher price to participate in the sport.

Primers are $280, used to be $180.

Shot is $50, used to be $34-$38.

Powder; haven't bought from a dealer in over a year so I'm not sure how much it costs now but I know it's more than it was a year ago. An 8 lb jug of TiteGroup was around $180 I believe. Selling 1lb containers of trap shotgun powder is only adding insult to injury.

Wads.....same story. Don't know what they cost a year ago but I pretty sure they are magically more expensive to buy now than before Covid.

Bottom line it's good that some people can afford and are not stubborn enough to accept $80- $100/flat prices and these new higher prices on reloading components. But for me I won't be able to afford to shoot if it costs twice as much to shoot than it did only a year ago.

If the prices don't come back down when my supply runs out that might be all she wrote.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
That 13 is above what I’m willing to pay for premium shells, just not going to do it.
A time to quit was always in my future due to age if nothing else.
These prices may hasten that time happening sooner.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts