Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Went to a Walmart in Springfield, MO and got some Winchester super target for $7.47, 3 box limit, drove another 10 minutes to another Walmart and the same shells were $14.77 and were under lock and key, doesn’t make any sense

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Federal is controlling the market right now. I know people who work at the plant in Minnesota and there is no ammo shortage there. Their warehouses are stuffed. They want everything to go warehouse direct eliminating any middle man distributor that all the mom and pop shops use. I don't think they will ever be able to buy Winchester out like they did with Remington but perhaps Winchester is fine with that idea as well. Remember, Federal is the same parent company that also owns Alliant Powder. I think they are sitting in a power position to decide what we will pay for shells. I am also thinking $10 will be the new normal.
VISTA, you were supposed to help us, not play $$ and supply games with us. We don't forget, whichever way you choose to go..

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Just talked to a jobber who I sometimes buy components from. He has Cheddite primers at a 160 bucks a sleeve. I was buying Win. primers for 125 bucks a sleeve. He has Eagle shot at 45 bucks a bag, and LB shot at 53 bucks a bag. I was paying 39 bucks a bag for LB shot. So I ordered some Eagle brand shot for practice. Something I have never done before. All my loads in the past have always been LB shot. I'll save my LB shot I have stashed at home for matches, and use the Eagle for practice. He even has wads too. His wads are now $120 a case. I was paying 80 bucks a case. The cost of reloads has risen forever. sigh. As are the days of 5 buck a box gun clubs and the like. break em all jeff
$160 a sleeve? Yikes…..

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
With the price of shells getting so crazy (as well as the price of gas, and other commodities), it reminded me of something Federal did with their "Dove Loads" many years ago here in Texas. It might have been in other states too; but I've always heard that shell manufacturers sell more shells on opening day of dove than all the target shells us clay-target shooters shoot all year ? Just what I've heard. But we had people showing up at the club with these "cheaper" shells, but they were unable to finish their rounds of skeet or trap, because there were only 20 shells per box. Hope tgey never go back to that stupid idea. Mike* (MH*) View attachment 1771475
That worked until people got wise to the gimmick and it didn't take long !

·
Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
883 Posts
In the old days BC (before covid) the old timers used to call 5000 primers a “sleeve”... ask one of them why... They’ll probably have no idea.
"Maybe" because the Winchester pack of 5,000 was about as long as your arms "sleeve" ??? I also used to call them a "Brick".

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Most clubs don’t make enough income from Trapshooting to cover costs. I guess there are some that do, a public facility certainly would depend on it for income. Most clubs earn their income from annual dues and then prorate that money as monthly income. When dues do not cover cost, they raise the dues.
You maybe astonished to learn this but there are 100"s upon 100's of clubs across this country that have no membership requirements and thus no dues. There only resource is throwing targets.

"Maybe" because the Winchester pack of 5,000 was about as long as your arms "sleeve" ??? I also used to call them a "Brick".
Brick is 1000.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
With the price of shells getting so crazy (as well as the price of gas, and other commodities), it reminded me of something Federal did with their "Dove Loads" many years ago here in Texas. It might have been in other states too; but I've always heard that shell manufacturers sell more shells on opening day of dove than all the target shells us clay-target shooters shoot all year ? Just what I've heard. But we had people showing up at the club with these "cheaper" shells, but they were unable to finish their rounds of skeet or trap, because there were only 20 shells per box. Hope tgey never go back to that stupid idea. Mike* (MH*) View attachment 1771475
Just like what is going on now wiith food items. Same price, less product. Maybe trap will be 4 shots per station.

·
Registered
34,242 Posts
You maybe astonished to learn this but there are 100"s upon 100's of clubs across this country that have no membership requirements and thus no dues. There only resource is throwing targets.
You might be “astonished“ to see, I used the word “most“ in my statement. I am talking about “clubs” with membership and dues requirements , not some for profit enterprise run by a private business or State run facility. I am talking about 503(c) non profits, like mine that has no range fees for pistol, rifle, archery, etc and only charges enough for clays to cover the cost of purchase of the clays, electricity to throw them and wear and tear of traps over their lifetime. My club is not open to the general public except for registered trap shoots and those guests of individual members. My club believes in the concept of non profit literally. If my club depended on income from clay targets, it would have been defunct 20 years ago.

club

“an association of persons participating in a plan by which they agree to make regular payments or purchases in order to secure some advantage”

·
Registered
34,242 Posts
Supply & demand issues will work themselves out but inflation may keep the price from returning to what it was.
That is when competition comes in play.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hopefully most folks wages rise with increased costs and inflation. We cannot get into much discussion on this without it getting political. Price for everything have risen and it is out of our control. If you want to play you got to pay.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts