Trapshooters Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like many, I grew up shooting my Dad's old 870 throughout High School and College. It served me well, I would often shoot between 20-23 targets. I recently joined a Trap club in my area and have been shooting a lot more regularly with a rental BT-99. I have improved my score to an average of about 23-24 targets. With tax-return on the way, I am thinking about investing in a proper Trap gun. At this point, I am not interested in shooting doubles, just singles and handicap. I love the BT-99 that I rent at the club and have shot a few variations from members at the club. I have decided on a 34" barrel an adjustable comb and an adjustable butt pad.

My question is this, is there a certain period (old/new) BT-99 that is more desirable? I really like the BT-99 Plus that Browning has on their website. I like the scroll work and higher quality wood. I have a few options to buy older used guns but neither are as elegant as the Plus model.

Thanks for any help/ advice!
I own a older BT plus , great gun for the money . But I recently shot a Browning XT and it was a very nice feeling gun also Not sure of you price range but both are worth consideration.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
I just hate to see a shooter spend all there hard earned cash!!! on a shotgun that is only good for one game in today's economy!!! Its not even good enough for all 3 trap games, only 2 of them. So in 2 years he'll have to spend another 2 grand or so again. Maybe even have to trade-in his BT-99 to afford to do so?

Do yourself a favor in this day and age, and get a O/U shotgun. One that can be used for all 3 games and taken into the woods to shoot as well (if need be). The Browning CX is hard to beat. Today's CX is 60/40 POI, while the CXT model is 70/30 POI. One or the other model will work for everyone in all 3 games and for hunting too if need be. Buy one shotgun and a full range of chokes. The cheapest shotgun is the one you only buy once. You can't lose any money on it if you don't trade it in.

I'd bet real money that the OP on here will want to shoot Sporting Clay's within 2 years MAX!!! The difference in a 10% shooting shotgun is like 2 1/2 inch's at 40 yards. Shooters rarely miss targets by less then 3 inches. 3 feet maybe, not 3 inches. The targets in Sporting clay's drop 3 to 4 times faster, than the fastest rising target in Trap!!! (The strait-a-way) So, I say stick with a 60/40 POI. Its perfect for all 3 games. More than likely, its the POI that the OP is shooting right now in his current BT-99. Best of Luck on your Clay Target Journey!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
My opinion is that BT99's are fantastic due to their lower cost to get into. It leaves you more money if you are looking to add aftermarket items that will enable you to get a custom gun fit. Things that will help you achieve consistency and confidence. This is an older BT99 beavertail, and with the low initial investment in the gun did not reduce the value much when adding aftermarket work done on it. The customer had shot a friends high rib Kolar and loved the heads up style shooting fit. He told me he was able to achieve that same feel and fit and loves the investment. It has the 3/4" tall add-a-rib, HPI recoil system, adjustable butt plate, LOP kit, adjustable compression spring set and new Kick-eez but pad. All these aftermarket options cost him a little under $1,150. I hope this helps you a little in the future.

Take care,
Scott
That is so cool!

61 - 65 of 65 Posts