Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
My opinion is that BT99's are fantastic due to their lower cost to get into. It leaves you more money if you are looking to add aftermarket items that will enable you to get a custom gun fit. Things that will help you achieve consistency and confidence. This is an older BT99 beavertail, and with the low initial investment in the gun did not reduce the value much when adding aftermarket work done on it. The customer had shot a friends high rib Kolar and loved the heads up style shooting fit. He told me he was able to achieve that same feel and fit and loves the investment. It has the 3/4" tall add-a-rib, HPI recoil system, adjustable butt plate, LOP kit, adjustable compression spring set and new Kick-eez but pad. All these aftermarket options cost him a little under $1,150. I hope this helps you a little in the future.

Take care,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Thank you all for the replies! I know a few have mentioned the 80/20 gun from GunsUnlimited, does anyone know what the BT's typically shoot? Is the new BT-99 Plus higher shooting that a new standard model?
Yes the new plus guns shoot higher than the new standard bt.I have shot them both and was surprised how flat shooting the standard bt99 was.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I actually prefer the generation 2 guns. They have .740 bores with longer forcing cones. I also like the extractor "only" feature because I save my shells to reload. Only a few minor changes to the internal parts. They do lack the engraving of the gen 1 guns but I don't mind the plain receiver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I actually prefer the generation 2 guns. They have .740 bores with longer forcing cones. I also like the extractor "only" feature because I save my shells to reload. Only a few minor changes to the internal parts. They do lack the engraving of the gen 1 guns but I don't mind the plain receiver.
Dale58, can you explain the .740 bore and longer forcing cone? How does this differ from gen 1 BT's?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
You don't invest in any shotgun, you shoot them and enjoy them, until you blame them for your misses-- its never the guns fault--its yours

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Does anyone know if they ever made a BT-99 with a silver plated action? I saw one for sale and it's advertised to have a silver plated receiver. Date code is 1987 (PR199). Not a Plus model, GC, Stainless, or anything special. I'm thinking it's an aftermarket job.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Guns Unlimited BT-99 is a good gun. It breaks targets well, and ours has remained very tight for some time. BT-99's in general are ubiquitous and a GREAT starter gun for Trap. As a starter gun, choke tubes might be best to tailor as you get better. Start with MOD and as you work your way up you can move to a tighter choke.

Adjustable comb and buttplate are nice additions. The key is to have it fit to you...and then leave it alone. Manytimes, shooters will continue to adjust their gun and never get it right. Many say to shoot 500 rounds minimum after any adjustment to determine whether the change worked.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know you are set on singles now but you may want to at least consider an XT. It will be a pleasure to shoot and gives you options if you decide to shoot other games.
I have owned a few XT's over the years and they are excellent guns. If I understand it right, you are a newer trap shooter. Your money will be well spent on a used XT with a adjustable comb. And then you would also be able to enjoy all the games, singles, caps, doubles, skeet and sporting clays. My profile pic is a XT slung over my shoulder and CT. State Shoot Singles Trophy from a while back. Great shooting guns that will take you far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Older or not my stainless BT99 is a great shooter and looks amazing too! Hard to beat as a new shooter getting started.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am a big fan of the older BT-99 not so much of the newer ones.
I have shot and worked on both. The older models are the best.
JMO

41 - 60 of 65 Posts