Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I grew up shooting my Dad's old 870 throughout High School and College. It served me well, I would often shoot between 20-23 targets. I recently joined a Trap club in my area and have been shooting a lot more regularly with a rental BT-99. I have improved my score to an average of about 23-24 targets. With tax-return on the way, I am thinking about investing in a proper Trap gun. At this point, I am not interested in shooting doubles, just singles and handicap. I love the BT-99 that I rent at the club and have shot a few variations from members at the club. I have decided on a 34" barrel an adjustable comb and an adjustable butt pad.

My question is this, is there a certain period (old/new) BT-99 that is more desirable? I really like the BT-99 Plus that Browning has on their website. I like the scroll work and higher quality wood. I have a few options to buy older used guns but neither are as elegant as the Plus model.

Thanks for any help/ advice!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bt 99 plus was made for a while, then discontinued I think. You might want to look for an older BT Plus. They had adjustable ribs and a recoil system. I personally think the older BTs were better quality. Usually pretty easy to find...Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are okay with something new I would suggest the Guns unlimited "80/20" Bt-99 with an adjustable comb and the Gracoil adjustable L.O.P. and recoil reducer. I have had mine for a while and have been very very pleased. See thread Guns Unlimited "80/20" BT-99.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
You can't go wrong with a bt99. The problem, if it is one is which one to purchase.
You didn't mention your budget but in general they aren't too expensive compared to most single barrel trap guns.
One thing you may not know is that they don't all shoot the same.
I had one I really liked that shot maybe 6-8 inches high at 35 yards. It got stolen and the new bt99 golden clays that the insurance bought me shot 13 inches high at 35 yards. And no good way to adjust the point of impact without an adjustable rib.
Right now I shoot a bt99 AR and I really like it. It has an adjustable rib so I can put the p.o.i. right where I like it. One of those will set you back about 3k with a case.
I would recommend trying to find one just like the rental gun since you shoot it well. You might not have the same results with a different model.
If the rental is a relatively new one maybe new is the way to go. I think you can still get one for around 1500. And you can do add ons like the adjustable comb and butt as you can afford them.
A word about the new plus guns. Two shooters at our local club bought them this year and they are struggling to get used to the high p.o.i. that they have. Might want to shoot one before you buy.

Good luck
Bill

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a bt 99 2 barrel set 32in im choke and a 34in full choke for my mom is shot it well till I got it cut and fit for her great guns!!! Good luck. Zack H

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Bt 99 plus was made for a while, then discontinued I think. You might want to look for an older BT Plus. They had adjustable ribs and a recoil system. I personally think the older BTs were better quality. Usually pretty easy to find...Good luck on your search!
There was the old Plus with the adjustable rib and stock and the new Plus without the adjustable options.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Having a newer bt Golden Clays in the family, I would look for an older one with 4 forend screws. Ours broke a couple forend iron screws since browning cheaped out and went to 3 screws. I now keep stock of that screw from Midwest gunworks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There was the old Plus with the adjustable rib and stock and the new Plus without the adjustable options.
Just about to say that. I shoot an older BT99 Plus that's adjustable. Great gun with adjustments to fit it to you and your shooting style. Just bought the new Plus, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts