Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yes they do. Must of them put out a square wave A/C instead of a sine wave A/C. That is not a problem most of the time. I run my computer on one when I travel.
Make sure you get one that will handle your load that you want. They don't work well if under sized.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Depends on what you want to use it for.

First, be very mindful of the rating (watts or amps) - easy to overload one, or blow a fuse in the vehicle with too heavy a draw.

Understand you get what you pay for - oddly, Sportsman's Guide often has some really good deals on these (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/truck-suv-12-volt.aspx?c=19&s=568)

Many have battery clamps, which you can directly hook to the battery - avoids the car's fuses, but again you can drain a battery really quickly, technically you risk damaging the car's charging system as well.

They tend to be fine for charing things, as well as TV/video units.

Tools - really depends on the draw of the tool, the inverter you have, and the amount of work you are asking the tool to do (like welders, duty cycle will matter).

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I use them on my pontoon boat with two 27 batteries to run my lights for night fishing. I also switched over to the new type light bulbs and can run those lights for over six hours. I have large ones to run tools at locations where I don't have power. Never had a problem with them. Jackie B.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am the last farm on the REA grid.if the power goes out they get to me when they can.wanted it to run a propane furnace.was going to hook it up to the pick up.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I was in your position I would be looking at a generator. You don't say what type of farming you are into but around here is dairy country and every farm has a PTO generator of substantial size.

ctreay

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If you get a big inverter---you're gonna need an equal;;y big alternator & batteries to keep up with load on the inverter.

When we lived on a trawler--we had a 3000 w inverter that was connected to a battery bank that was made up of 6 golf cart batteries , when the inverter was on you could hear the belts on the alternators squeal till they caught up with the load.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What ctreay said. If you are on a farm and have tractors, get a PTO driven generator. We have two on our farm to run the well pumps, heat and freezers. If you don't have the tractors, buy a regular generator.

You don't want to do the inverter thing for what you are needing it for. Like Phil said, by the time you would buy a large enough inverter, batteries etc, you could have bought a generator. Besides tge fact the truck would have to be running the whole time you are using that large inverter.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
22hornet has it right, I installed a conversion kit on the B&S engine in our 5500 watt generator, and it has saved our a$$es since 4 am yesterday morning, and will be running for many more hours I think, we are north of Dallas, and we got hammered with ice

If you watch Craig's lit you can pick up used generators dirt cheap when they won't run, and 90% of the time the reason they won't run is because the never ran the gas out of them and the carb is messed up. You can get a conversion kit from US Carberuation (sp) and install it, ain't nothing to it. They have two different kits, the one I got allows you to run LP, Nat gas, or regular gas and it ran about $200

Best 200 bucks I have spent, LP never goes bad, and it is hooked to a 500 gallon tank for the heat in the shop, and it has always started by the third pull, guess that is how long it takes to prime the gas line, it is 25 ft long X 5/8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts