Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried inversion therapy for back pains, if so I would like to know if it helped.

Recently developed a bad back. Medications have not helped only thing that seems to help is to lie flat on my back and it goes away for a while. The pain come and goes randomly. Any input would be appreciated.

Pap4 Joel

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
I like it...loosens you up. But I've never had anything but muscle spasms back wise anyway. Not enough to by one though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bought my table 20 yrs. ago. I don't use it as often as I should but it has reduced my visits to the bone cruncher by about 90%.
Gotta strengthen those abs...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Have one and used it. It provided temporary relief. Also tried acupuncture, chiropractors, physical therapy, massage therapy and injections. Had to have surgery. Try the inversion table, helped me for a year.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
It helps but you don't have to hang upside down. You get the same benefit at just a 10-15% tilt.

Big5 about $99 on sale.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The inversion therapy did absolutely nothing for me, but, for $100 what is to lose? If you don't like it or it doesn't work, sell it for $50 and you are out the equivalent of 6 or 7 boxes of shells. Go for it.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
Bought my table 20 yrs. ago. I don't use it as often as I should but it has reduced my visits to the bone cruncher by about 90%.
Gotta strengthen those abs...
It helps but you don't have to hang upside down. You get the same benefit at just a 10-15% tilt.

Big5 about $99 on sale.
Ditto these posts, except ai no longer do I go the a choir....crapr....bone cruncher. Watch the video, read the instructions. A gentle rocking with the inversion lasting only a second or two, then returning upright and repeating the inversion. I have been pain free for over 15 years now after an injury I received over 35 years ago, using inversion. The table sits in the basement in a corner, unused, but kept for just in case. Check with your doctor first if this will be ok for your particular problem. You might find some videos on the Internet for proper use of the table.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Pap4. I was in a car accident over a decade ago and racked up serious rehab money. There were two things that helped me in the end. The best for me was acupuncture then inversion. BUT, during all of this table time I learned something. If it is your lower back that hurts (and not caused by an accident) then it is not your back that is bad...it is your stomach.

Test this: lay on your back with head propped slightly and knees up a bit but not all the way. Take your first three fingers and hold them out straight and stiff. Then place them just above the belt line and push down hard. Not like a punch but easy motion with lots of pressure. It may take your other hand to add additional force. Move your fingers around and you will find the muscles that are tense and when you do you will feel the difference and hold your fingers there until you feel the muscle release. Keep doing this until there are no more tense muscles in your stomach - should only take a few minutes.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
Inversion helped me short term. Exercise long term. Best was really pushing in the gym.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
You guys have to remember it all depends on what is wrong with your back to start with. If you have severely bulged or cracked discs, you can hang upside down til the cows come home but it ain't gonna fix crap. Sure it may feel good for a short time, but when you get back on your feet, the spine is gonna compress back down on the suspect discs and you'll be back where you started.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
As you get older arthritis sets in and no amount of inversion is going to help. We just weren't made to live as long as we do standing upright. Crumpling vertebrae is generally the issue that comes with age. Especially in the lower back. This was told to me yesterday by my doctor. Anti-inflammatory drugs and maybe, a TENS electronic device may help. That's what I'm using and it seems to work. Blue Emu and asper-cream helps as well......And they don't smell or burn.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
As I got older I have found out that the ASIAN massage parlors provide all kinds of relief for my back pains. They hang upside down toooooo lol
Aside from that the inversion works for most people. You can just hang from the monkey bars with your hands and get some relief also. Lower core excercise is the best. The gut needs to go. Seems most trap shooters suffer from this.Me included

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hear what your saying about gut, I will have to work harder on that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
First is a proper medical exam and exact diagnosis of the problem. My inversion table helps me a lot but I get lazy and out of the routine. Just as important is regular exercise and CORE STRENGTH is probably the most overlooked and considered part of reducing back pain. I did four weeks of therapy to increase core strength and when I was done, I felt completely different and better....then I became lazy with it. So to answer the question, I do feel inversion works well if used often and properly. I will also agree with another poster that it is not necessary at all to hang completely up side down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get almost immediate but short term relief from the inversion table. Tilt 20 degrees, about 3 minutes a couple times a day.
Some days are better than others, some days I'm stove up, some not.
Hope you get relief soon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Best money for a bad back for me was Robin McKinney's book, "Heal Your Own Back". Easy stretching method that worked for me. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts