Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hunkered down in NJ - only been away from the house/yard once in 4 weeks.

Always thought a baffle was a good idea, but the red ones are pretty much nonexistent.

Have baffles in my pistol powder measures and have been noodling on making a MEC bottle with an internal baffle. Not a fan of the tall MEC bottles, so.....

Glass
Technology Circle Number Label

Product Measuring cup Cup Glass Drinkware

Cut the top off a new bottle with a band saw. Got a piece of ~1/16” or a bit less aluminum and cut it to drop into the bottle with a pretty close fit. Drilled three holes in the bottle sides for the plate to rest on stainless steel screws ~ 1" above the lowest seam on the side of the bottle. Drilled eight 1/4" holes around the perimeter so none are directly over the center line where the powder drops out.

Going to either fashion a cap or reattach top with adhesive aluminum tape that is used on HVAC duct work. Also might add three more screws above the baffle to trap it in place.

Loaded the bottle with Vectan AS powder - seems to work just right.

Not rocket science or precision machining but I'm pretty happy with this as a first try.

Cheers and stay safe and healthy,

jk
(aka thebigski)

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Vectan AS is flake powder - like miniature square postage stamps - don't flow the best.

The 1/4" holes in the baffle were clearly too small - had to tap the bottle to start/keep powder flowing.

Took it all apart and opened the holes in the baffle to 3/8" - much much better

Charge to charge variation is +/- 0.2 grains or a bit less. For this powder, that seems good. Will test it at a later date with ExtraLite - would imagine it will be somewhat better yet.

Product Optical instrument Vehicle Metal Science

Going to load a few and then some yard work!

jk

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last update:

Back is killing me from yard work yesterday so I decided to stay inside and give it one more go and make a baffled short bottle.

With the 3/8" holes, four seems like enough so I went with that.

Hardest part is getting the metal tape smooth and "pretty".

Measuring cup Product Drinkware Petri dish Plastic
Product Material property Auto part Glass

Back to yard work I guess!

Cheers and stay safe!

jk

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Why not just use the style that comes in the RCBS metallic powder dispenser? But I hope its working for you.

Never used a baffle on any of my mecs, except for the 410, and that wasn't so much for the baffle as it was for the plunger seal.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
John,

Thought about that but couldn't easily figure out the flat shape it had to be so it fit well when bent; geometry class was ~57 years ago!

Don't believe this will make a quantum leap in charge uniformity - just jacking around in the workshop.

jk

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Well, I'm baffled.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,916 Posts
I wonder if there's a lid (plastic or rubber) that you could find that would fit the OD of the powder bottle so you wouldn't have to tape the top half of the bottle back on with that little dinky hole at the top that requires a funnel.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim,

Yep, thought of that but rummaging through shop and kitchen stuff couldn't find a match.

Thought about making a press fit wooden plug like a giant cork stopper - might give that a rip.

Could make the final diameter on vertical belt sander and put some draft on the plug.

jk

·
Registered
70 Posts
John,

Thought about that but couldn't easily figure out the flat shape it had to be so it fit well when bent; geometry class was ~57 years ago!

Don't believe this will make a quantum leap in charge uniformity - just jacking around in the workshop.

jk
Just a question- baffle for consistency of powder weight going into the bushing?

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
timb99 got me thinking and raining here so mucking around in the shop.

Made a wooden plug that fits snugly in top, metal piece so that it doesn't let it get pushed in too far, and a knob I had in my miscellaneous stuff drawer.

Cylinder Glass

Product Water Glass Bottle Fluid

Could be thinner but only had 3/4" stock.

Thanx Tim!

jk

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
timb99 got me thinking and raining here so mucking around in the shop.

Made a wooden plug that fits snugly in top, metal piece so that it doesn't let it get pushed in too far, and a knob I had in my miscellaneous stuff drawer.

View attachment 1672321

View attachment 1672325

Could be thinner but only had 3/4" stock.

Thanx Tim!

jk
Can you tilt it back without spilling?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,916 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts