Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To preface my question: it was beaten into my head at a young age in the 70’s to never deviate from the load data or recipe in the Lyman handbooks. Fast forward to today and I have return e-mail from powder Mfg Ballisticians that say it’s ok to swap primers if the load is under 8500 psi. Great on most of my favorite 12 ga loads. Thanks for all your patience and sticking with my long winded wind up into the question.

Is there any safe primer swap for 20 ga loads. Almost all of the 7/8 load data for Alliant 20/28 are above 8800 psi.
Hodgdon Universal and International Clays are > 10,000 and > 11,000 respectively.

Specifically looking at Cheddite vs Winchester primers. Any thoughts or personal experiences you have had would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've heard that Cheddite primers are similar to Federals that they run hotter than Winchester and Remington. In the load data for my Lee Load-All it said to go down one bushing when using a Federal primer. If you go down a bushing you might be OK? I'm kind of loosey-goosey with recipes, but I'm normally making 1145fps 1oz target loads so I figure I have plenty of margin.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I've heard that Cheddite primers are similar to Federals that they run hotter than Winchester and Remington. In the load data for my Lee Load-All it said to go down one bushing when using a Federal primer. If you go down a bushing you might be OK? I'm kind of loosey-goosey with recipes, but I'm normally making 1145fps 1oz target loads so I figure I have plenty of margin.
So, just to be clear, you have no idea what you are talking about, correct?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you tried entering your components into alliant or hodgdon sites and seeing if there was data that matches your components?

You could substitute one of your components (powder primer etc) and see if published data exists

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have used Cheddites in place of Winchester 209s for years with never any problems. Been loading for a long long time.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I have also used Cheddites a few times when I could not get Winchester or CCI primers.

I am not a ballistician, nor to I have test equipment to document pressures. I tend to load light to middle powder charges. I also like powders that make lower pressure. I can not see where a primer change would suddenly make a light load exceed max load pressure.

Now if you are already at maximum, I would not count on that margin for error.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
To preface my question: it was beaten into my head at a young age in the 70’s to never deviate from the load data or recipe in the Lyman handbooks.
Good advice to continue to follow.
Fast forward to today and I have return e-mail from powder Mfg Ballisticians that say it’s ok to swap primers if the load is under 8500 psi.
I can't argue with this.
Is there any safe primer swap for 20 ga loads. Almost all of the 7/8 load data for Alliant 20/28 are above 8800 psi.
Hodgdon Universal and International Clays are > 10,000 and > 11,000 respectively.
Call Alliant and ask them about 20/28.

Then call Hodgdon and ask them about Universal Clays and International Clays.

It's as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
5,851 Posts
To preface my question: it was beaten into my head at a young age in the 70’s to never deviate from the load data or recipe in the Lyman handbooks. Fast forward to today and I have return e-mail from powder Mfg Ballisticians that say it’s ok to swap primers if the load is under 8500 psi. Great on most of my favorite 12 ga loads. Thanks for all your patience and sticking with my long winded wind up into the question.

Specifically looking at Cheddite vs Winchester primers. Any thoughts or personal experiences you have had would be appreciated.
Thanks.
What powder and wad are you wanting to use?

You are aware that Max pressure for 20ga is 12,000psi and not 11,500psi for 12ga?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the responses.
I know Alliant has an online form where you can plug in your load data hit submit and in years past they replied. However, I have submitted 2 this year and I’ve got crickets chirping for a response. Maybe they are backlogged or working from home.

Update:All is well: I did a little horse trading. Swapped a 16 pack of Charmin for a 5k sleeve of Winchester 209s so I’m good to go.
Now does anyone know where I might find corncobs or some old Sears and Roebuck catalogs?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your better off digging a little further in to the powders you want to use as well as the wads. I have loads that I use for my 20ga o/u that I can't use in my
Briley tube set that are the same receipt except for the primers. I have another load that just calls for a wad switch to bring the pressures down to a safe
level for my tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts