Trapshooters Forum banner

Installing Real Powder Baffles in a MEC

6354 Views 44 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  halfmile
Has anyone installed real baffles in their MEC bottles or purchased new bottle with baffles ?

The better reloaders come with baffles and mechanical single spring seals. The powder metering on the MEC leaves a lot to be desired and doesn't come with either. That bronze wave washer is a pretty sorry excuse for a seal however it does reduce the powder migration some.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't use any of that stuff and have no problem with metering. I just use the tall bottle for shot and powder. Mec makes a bracket to support the two. I've found the extra weight of powder makes the metering work just fine. Which " better " reloaders come with baffles from the factory ? I ain't ,reloading pistol or rifle, so the Mec leaves nothing to be desired. JMHO

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I don't use any of that stuff and have no problem with metering. I just use the tall bottle for shot and powder. Mec makes a bracket to support the two. I've found the extra weight of powder makes the metering work just fine. Which " better " reloaders come with baffles from the factory ? I ain't ,reloading pistol or rifle, so the Mec leaves nothing to be desired. JMHO
Switch the bottles around from time to time and the “static cling” goes away too. May be the tiny amount of graphite left behind on the inside of the shot bottle.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Sorry to appear dense, but do you mean switch the powder and shot bottles, or have a spare pair to rotate in and out?
Switch them. Use the large “shot” bottles for both. The larger bottle holds more powder and if you refill it every time you fill the shot bottle your powder drops are a LOT more even. When you first use the larger bottles switch the shot bottle over to the powder side. Then once a season switch them around again. Or not.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
Switch them. Use the large “shot” bottles for both. The larger bottle holds more powder and if you refill it every time you fill the shot bottle your powder drops are a LOT more even. When you first use the larger bottles switch the shot bottle over to the powder side. Then once a season switch them around again. Or not.
I use the large bottle for powder and the small for shot. I noticed right away the consistency improved and I don't like that much shot wiggling around above me when I'm loading.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I use the large bottle for powder and the small for shot. I noticed right away the consistency improved and I don't like that much shot wiggling around above me when I'm loading.
I put the bottle brace on mine. And the universal bar. Don’t have to manipulate the bottles much.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
Geez, , I sure misundersttod that suggestion. No wonder my shells have shot underneath the wad and powder in the shot cup.

· Registered
93 Posts
I'm very interested in this because I get anywhere from 16.9 to 17.3 from my Automate. When I start using the large bottle for powder, should I get rid of my pot metal powder baffle? Thank you for your help.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I'm very interested in this because I get anywhere from 16.9 to 17.3 from my Automate. When I start using the large bottle for powder, should I get rid of my pot metal powder baffle? Thank you for your help.
Yes. But. What powder are you using? And are you hesitating at the bottom of the cycle for a heartbeat? You need the brass concave washer and the rubber grommet.

· Registered
93 Posts
Yes. But. What powder are you using? And are you hesitating at the bottom of the cycle for a heartbeat? You need the brass concave washer and the rubber grommet.
I am using 700X, although I am down to about 3 pounds. Next loads will be made with Ramshot Competition. And I actually haven't thought about any hesitation. I'll pay more attention. Should I hesitate or not? And yes, the brass washer and rubber grommet are installed. Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.