Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for input from shooters who have or are loading Winchester AA-Super Handicap powder.I have a 8lb. jug and have been looking forward to putting some handicap loads together with this powder. Thanks in advance for a reply.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's a load that I really like. Federal Gold Medal plastic hull, Federal 209A primer. Federal (factory) 12SO wad, 21.3 grs. Super Handicap, and 1 1/8 oz. of shot. This load produces good speed and breaks targets with authority. It is also much easier on the shooter than the factory shells, or as we used to call them "Silver Sleuths". Good luck with your search for the perfect handicap load.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Follow the recipe on the jug with all AA components and you will have made your own "silver bullets. I shoot them along with new in all my cap events.

Be careful with loading more grains and matching it with a hot primer. Pressures and FPS may exceed 1290.

Don

·
Registered
337 Posts
I load 21.5 grains in a rem hull, win primer with a windjammer wad with 1 1/8oz they graphed at 1255-1260 and I think they are a little softer then the factory "silver bullets"

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
If you are using a MEC, start with #20 or #21 bushing. My #22 drops 20.5 grains. This is a very dense powder, and the right wad is required to get a good crimp.

In comparison, my #34 drops 20 grains of Green Dot.

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, I will be loading on a rem. sts hull with a Winchester primer. I have win. wads/windjammer/or fig. 8s to choose from so I will probably experiment with different wad to get the performance that Im looking for although I tend to use the win. 1 1/8 wads in my h-cap loads.I also plan to try loading a 1 1/8 at lite target at 1150fps to see what I get there. Thanks George

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love it. Loads very consistent. Win hull cheddite, windjammer 1.125 of shot with 20.5 grains crossed the chronograph at 1270 for me

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I pretty much follow the recipe on the jug. I use Win AA hulls, Win 209 primer, 20.9 grains of WSH, WAA 12 wad and 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot. This loaded fine in my PW with E-1 bushing. when I switched to the Spolar loader, I found that my crimps were a bit dished using the same components so I switched to a Win clone 1 oz wad. Perfect crimp and they shoot well.

John

·
Administrator
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do my loading on a set of pacific/hornady 366's and I have a pile of bushings so I should be set to go.When I get the chance I will chronograph the handload and factory. Thanks again George

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ran 4 lbs.of this when I had the chance for my kids since I myself don't qualify for needing a faster powder. My singles shells work just as well at the 20. My son loves them and my daughter hates them. The odd thing about their opposing opinons is that he shoots a BT-99 and she shoots a Beretta semi-auto. He thinks they are perfect and she thinks they kick too much. I have shot them in my semi-auto and my Beretta 682. I think they feel good as well. If anything, I thought (keep in mind it was only 2 boxes) that they felt softer than shooting new AA 1250's. Again, Just my opinion. It is certainly a recipe I keep on a note card pinned to the top of the workbench for handicap shells where we can use them.

I used the recipe on the jug, as many others have mentioned. They ran through the machine perfectly and I had no issues with dishing on the crimps with the Downrange WAA wads. Used Win209's and a standard good'ol red/grey AA hulls.

I have not tried the STS hulls I have with this powder so I cannot speak to the consistency of that recipe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts