Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are contemplating on this unit but I would like any first hand information from anyone that has hunted this area. We are thinking the third rifle season for better chance for weather to push the Elk off the private ground. I have googled it and I know people that have had good success in this area.
Thanks Joe

· Registered
678 Posts
Joe,
That area has a good amount of BLM land. That's great for access but could also be a pita as far as ranchers and their animals. We hunted the Flat Tops Wilderness area one year and saw nothing but tracks. We found out 10k sheep were driven out of the area just prior to our arrival.

Your thoughts regarding 3rd season weather pushing animals OFF private ground are contrary to what is most likely to happen. From my experience the elk are in the higher elevations of National Forest and BLM lands. When there is severe weather the animals migrate to the lower elevations and bottom land that is mostly privately owned.

We hunted Colorado, mostly for Muley's for a number of years. We seen bull elk but most were rag horns. I saw a monster bull once but couldn't fire as I was blinded by the morning sunshine on the aspens he was traveling through. That was in the Sangre De Cristo mountain range about 10 miles in, where we had backpacked to and camped in a small tent.

My plan if going again would be the 3rd season. Hunt the thickest darkest forest you can find. Pray for snow, a lot of it, then hunt the natural corridors that lead to lush private lands at lower elevations.

This is my largest Muley. Sadly, I saw an absolute freak non-typical monster buck close to where I got this one but didn't get him either. It was on BLM land across the road from some lush farmland.

Good luck! Steve
Elk Natural material Deer Tableware Wood

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.