Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
The early ones, 60's, were made by Miroku. comparable to Browning BT-99.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I haven't been able to find a model number or grade just serial numbers. This one has a barrel selector should it have an O/U barrel with it? Other wise what are your opinions?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
First I haven't been able to find a model number or grade just serial numbers. This one has a barrel selector should it have an O/U barrel with it? Other wise what are your opinions?
I may be wrong, but to my knowledge, they didn't make a combo. Someone has fitted a single bbl to your Superior grade receiver. IMHO.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks closer inspection only one firing pin so not O/U. I have this gun on trial basis so not really familiar with it.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
I'd call CD and see if they still carry parts for your gun, before you buy it. They are as good as a Browning, but typically sell for 35-40% less. If parts are hard to find, then its value is far less. Good guns though. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Parts are still available for these through B & C Gunsmithing in Lake Havasu, AZ. Very knowledgeable staff to help with parts, and fixes also.

The single barrel versions I have seen in Superior Grade had the O/U receivers.

They are actually well built guns, equivalent to the Browning version but at $200-$300 less money.

·
Registered
29,297 Posts
Prior to WWII, Charles Daly was an importer of many offerings of shotguns and one rifle made by a number of European gun makers under the name of "Prussian Mfg.". Most of the manufactuers were located in Suhl Germany.
Shotguns included SXS, O/U and drillings. There were two single barrel trap models, the "Empire" and the "Sexuple" manufactured by both Sauer and Linder.

In the early 60's, B.C. Miroku, Tokyo began producing guns with CD name as well as Browning. Production ceased in 1976. The only single barrel was a Superior Grade made from 68-76, valued at $550.00 for a 100%/excellant condition gun as of 1997, $675.oo in 2013. There was the o/u Superior o/u but no combo's.

After 1976, production moved to Italy.

I had a CD Miroku Superior o/u trap in the 70's it was a well made gun and performed quite nicely.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have owned two single bbls. and presently shoot a Venture grade O/U for doubles. I purchased the gun from a guy who had sent it to Simmons and had a taller rib installed. The bbls. separated some when the gun was reblued and the top bbl shoots 90% high.

I have owned and shot there different Perrazis for doubles and could never be consistent with them. They all shot 50/50. I shot the MX 14L all of 09 and lowered my dbls. average 5 points. I'm back to the Charles Daly. I don't know how many thousand rounds have been shot through this gun, but it's still going. Holding my breath that it keeps running as long as I am running.

Steve Elliott

·
Registered
201 Posts
After 1976, production moved to Italy, but the Superior only came in an O/U, discontinued in 1988 and SXS discontinued in 1985.
Not an accurate statement.

This is my son's pheasant gun, a 1997 Charles Daly Superior Trap grade O/U manufactured in Italy by Sabatti Firearms and imported to the USA by K.B.I.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

·
Registered
29,297 Posts
Echo 1, you are correct and I am wrong. I misread the offerings of the Superior. In the Blue Book of Gun Values by P.Fjestad, the Superior Trap as well as the Superior Sporting are sub headed in smaller type under the larger heading of the Superior Hunter and state the importation of all 3 models started in 1977. I apologize for posting incorrect information, but I really did blow past it, not seeing smaller subheadings for trap and skeet under the larger heading of hunter.

Reactions: Echo 1

·
Registered
29,297 Posts
Another gun book indicates that Italian production ended in 2010 and guns with the Charles Daly name are now made in Turkey. A Superior II is a model offered in hunting and Sporting models while the Superior Grade Trap o/u exists with 30 inch barrels and a single barrel trap under the name Emprie Trap Mono comes in 30-32 inch barrels. I cannot find any information that would show the Superior SBT was offered after Miroku discontinued it in 1976. This is from 2013 Standard Carptalog of Firearms, 23rd Edition. I have no more current info.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
At one time Wisner's Gun Shop in Adna (?) WA had a website with quite a bit of background info on Charles Daly/Miroku shotguns. They made parts for such guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts