Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new mec 9000. Im using Clays powder and its calling for 16.5gr drop with waa12 wad, waa hull, win209 primer. I'm using a mec baffle and the powder drop in inconsistent, ranging from 16.5 thru 17.5 when measured on a shot to shot basis. What is causing the inconstancy? I have had this issue on the Mec Jr. with powder drop too. Is it something I'm doing? Any help would be great. I may end up having to get another bushing (as of now I'm using a 29, I may need a 28)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Lastly, I could not find anything on the wad pressure. I set my machine at 30. Is that too high or would that be fine.

Thanks for the help.
Andrew

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
First off, MEC does not make a powder baffle; other aftermarket companies do. I swore off using one after having problems with it but others will tell you they wouldn't load shells without one. To each his own but the first thing I would do is 86 that baffle and check your drops.

Next, the only wad pressure you need is what is required to seat the wad upon the powder charge which is just slightly more than zero pressure. If the indicator just moves ever so slightly, you're good. If the recipe's crimps are convex, the fix is a shorter wad NOT more pressure. Excess pressure merely compresses the cushion section of the wad, thus partially defeating its purpose. But again, others will be along to tell you if some pressure is good, more is better.

Finally, MEC's support people are great and would be happy to guide you correctly.

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed.
You are correct, it is a downrange baffle I am using. Sorry about the incorrect information. I will do what you said and see how it drops without the baffle. Are you familiar with Clays? I have been using reddot and it has been more consistent. Atleast, on my Mec Jr. but this 9000 is a totally new ball game to me. I will contact Mec about it and see what they say about it also. Thank you

·
Registered
29,645 Posts
Often common problem is bottle(s) are too tight, causing restriction of full travel of the bar. Watch the bar slide back and forth as you load, make sure it is moving it's full distance both directions. If it stops reach up loosen bottle(s) slighly until bar snaps loose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the baffle being on there would do the same thing? Do you not use a baffle like Ed? If so that may be something I need to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'll bet there are a lot more powder baffles sitting on shelves then on reloaders.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I agree with the previous posters.
Also , when you pull the handle all the way down , the screw that holds the bar on should have only a very small gap ( 1/32") between it and the chromed piece. This assures that the bar is travelling to the Left as much as it should.
Regards , Pete

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Andrew, I used Clays for several years and never had charge weight variances that amounted to enough to be a concern. I never used Red Dot so I can't comment on it but I did use Green Dot, which is the same as far as bulk and particle size so the two should meter the same and I never had problems with it either. I mostly used PB, which had the consistency of sand and flowed like water. I still maintain the problem is within your loader - either the baffle or an adjustment as others have mentioned.

I do commend you for being concerned about the condition. Too many people trust a bushing chart completely and some of them don't even own a scale. I've often said that those people should have to wear a sign reading, "Ballistics experiment in progress - stand clear."

Ed

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I would also 86 the baffle.

If the bar is consistently traveling all the way over and neither bottle is tightened to deep/hard, then I am going to say static is a strong possibility.

I generally run shot through the powder bottle prior to dispensing powder into it. Second item is to secure an anti static dryer sheet just off the bottom on inside. Be sure to secure with tape.

If nothing suggested to this point resolves issue, then I would say that its on the downstroke towards bottom or upstroke at the beginning and your creating and unusual vibration or pop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I 86'd the baffle last night and turned the bottle snug but not tight and it seemed to be more consistent. 16.7-17.1. Im going to see if the static can cut that drop in half but, overall, I'm pleased that its way more consistent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Andrew, I used Clays for several years and never had charge weight variances that amounted to enough to be a concern. I never used Red Dot so I can't comment on it but I did use Green Dot, which is the same as far as bulk and particle size so the two should meter the same and I never had problems with it either. I mostly used PB, which had the consistency of sand and flowed like water. I still maintain the problem is within your loader - either the baffle or an adjustment as others have mentioned.

I do commend you for being concerned about the condition. Too many people trust a bushing chart completely and some of them don't even own a scale. I've often said that those people should have to wear a sign reading, "Ballistics experiment in progress - stand clear."

Ed
The sign gave me a good laugh yesterday!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I agree on the static comment. I always have problems this time of the year with it esp. with fine grained powders [ WST / Titewad]
The dryer sheet trick works well........Just let it hang down in the bottle and secure it between the cap and bottle.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
A lot of people on here poo-poo the idea of electrostatic charge building up in reloading machines but it is a real concern for some of us. I never bought into the dryer sheet just hanging in the reservoir but hey, if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Ed

·
Registered
112 Posts
The strip of dryer sheets in the bottle never did much good for me.
However I did get a spray can of static spray and it works pretty good.
I put about 100 hulls in a small tote and give them a light spray, then mix them around, no more powder cling.

lp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts