Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be moving to Island Park, NY the first of the year for a temporary work assignment of about a year. We want to continue to enjoy trap shooting while we are there. I have heard that the gun laws there are more strict than here in Ga.. Could some of you locals fill us in on what we need to know about things like licensing requirements, transporting shotguns and keeping our guns in our apartment? We will only have shotguns, no handguns. Also if you could comment on good places to shoot that are close to Island Park. I have visited the claytargetsonline site for facilities information but would like to hear from the experts here about your preference.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Island Park is not part of New York City it is in Nassau County so NYC firearms regs don't apply there but state regs do. The closest place to shoot would be about 40+ miles east of Island Park in Suffolk County. Others on here who live in the area can give you more details.

Eric

·
Registered
231 Posts
NO REGISTRATION FOR SHOTGUNS REQUIRED . IF YOU HAVE RIFLES I THINK THEY JUST RESTRICTED MAG CAPACITY BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY-I'M SURE SOME NASSAU/SUFFOLK RESIDENTS WILL CHIME IN.RICK ZINO

·
Registered
553 Posts
I moved from Long Island to AZ a few years back after living there all of my life, but I do not think too much has changed regarding shotguns (not so pistols and rifles). No problem having them in your home or travelling, just make sure that they are unloaded. You have a number of choices about where to shoot, although none are next door. There is the Staten Island Sportsman's Club which has registered shoots all of the time and great Italian food; out east is Brookhaven, which is a large public range that also has skeet, rifle and pistol; and Yaphank which also has sporting clays. The Peconic River Sportsman's Club in Marion is a wonderful private club that has registered shoots from time to time. Further east there is the Mattituck Gun Club on the north fork, only one trap but very active and has a number of registered shoots. In the Hamptons you have the Maidstone Gun Club, another private club with registered shoots. If you want to cross over the Hudson River, the North Jersey Gun Club in Fairfield is a nice facility, and Willow Wood in Mahopac going upstate is popular with many from the Island. Some of the CT ranges are not too, too far. There should also be at least two winter leagues currently going on. This is not PA or upstate NY which have clubs in almost every town, but there are plenty of places to shoot. Good whitetail and duck hunting also.

Island Park has great fishing near by and the food on Long Island is some of the best in the country. We truly miss that, however temperature today in northern Arizona will be the 60's, sure don't have NY taxes or politicians, and I can watch antelope run around.

JEB

There is also great fishing near Island Park and Long Island has
which also has a number o

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long Island shooting range of Brookhaven is a town range that has several trap and skeet fields, good staff and a really good pro for lessons, it is in Ridge, NY. Suffolk trap and skeet is a county range offering trap, skeet and sporting clays, also good staff and well run.

Both are east maybe an hour, but both are off main highways, public and rarely crowded except for weekend mornings. Considering this is new york, having two good size public trap and skeet ranges is pretty good. The post above has other options, there are registered shoots around, Peconic, staten island and willow wood have shoots.

See you at brookhaven when it warms a little.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Tony, Jeb is correct, out at exit 67 S on the LIE you make a right until you get to your first left, go left until you see Yaphank shooting range on the left side. They have sporting clays, trap, skeet and I think they added 5 stand. No membership or id required to shoot there. If you want to go to the Brookhaven town range you get off the LIE at exit 68 N take William Floyd Parkway north to route 25 east. Brookhaven town range is on the left almost 1 mile. Over there there is a different charge for residents and non residents. You can shoot skeet, trap, rifle, 100 and 200 yards, and pistol. There is another range out at Calverton, you need no ID to shoot rifle at 100- 200 yds and handgun. You have to bring your own machine to shoot clays. All of the other clubs are private and you need a member to take you as a guest. Yaphank is your best bet, and a nice place. Regards Joe 631 319 6959

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Fellas...........Does Suffolk Trap and Skeet use the pre-paid card key system on their sporting course ?? How is their sporting course ?? Worth the ride from Westchester ?...........Thx !

·
Registered
866 Posts
regarding Suffolk:

For skeet and trap you prepay and they charge a "key" during the week you can pull your own skeet. There are pullers at all times for trap. 5 stand also is a prepaid key.

Sporting is a nice course, it is in a circle around the perimeter. A bit flat but always changing and there are always some difficult shots. Any time of the day there may be some sun in your eyes on a few stations. 40 bucks a round of 100 plus "show birds and 4 broken birds" If you shoot your "lookers" you get 128 shots. Thursdays are 30 bucks. If I shoot with my son we sometimes pay for one round, shoot the show birds and get around 65 shots apiece skipping a few easy or "sun in your eyes" stations. That's 15 apiece on Thursdays.

All shooting courses offer buy 10 get one round free. You can take your
key and get it recharged as you need it.

sporting and trap/skeet are different keys.

No food but ammo is sold. gun rentals available including sub gauges.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Thx LUGNUTZ. 40 bucks is a decent price. Trying to get my son into it, so pull your own is great. No more interfering with other shooters. Been shooting Millbrook & Dover Furnace, heard ST&S was well run. Could probably make it there in an hour and twenty, not too bad. I'll stop at my brother's house in Syosset on the way home for espresso ! LOL !

BTW.....Thursdays at 30 bucks ?? If I lived closer, you'd know where to find me on Thursdays !

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great information. Thanks to everyone for responding. We don't shoot regestered targets at this time. We are just having fun and trying to learn to "look at the bird". We look forward to meeting some new friends up north.

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts