Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded for a Lefever Nitro Special 12ga. SXS by Lefever Arms Co, Ithica, NY. Serial L440XX, left barrel marked 4 and right barrel marked 2 appears to be full and ic. Does anyone know when this shotgun was mfg. and if it is a Lefever or Ithica marked Lefever. Any info would be appreciated. neo

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
IthAca purchased the Lefever name, and began producing the Nitro Specials in 1921. IF your SN is 1440XX it was made in 1923. The 4&2 markings indicate full & modified (originally).
Nitro Specials are solid utility grade doubles, but with some propensity to crack the stock at the end of the top tang.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Mine was purchased in 1928 for 28 dollars. The action will still cut a hair.

Dad murdered many a grouse and waterfowl with it.

HM

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's an Ithaca using the Lefever name, decent solid gun, most were used hard over the years. Found this one at a gunshow several years ago, had been restored by Dan May of Classic Gunstocks.

JohnR

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
AMAZING John: Dan sent me pics of his restoration maybe 5 years ago. I believe Turnbull did the case colors. Is this the same gun?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Drew,

Yes its the gun, still on Dan's web site, I understand it was his first restoration, he did the wood work and metal polishing and had Turnbull do the case and bluing. Dan did all disassembly and assembly, very nicely done . My pictures do not do his work justice.

JohnR

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding serial numbers as I have inherited a Lefever 12ga SxS with a serial number as follows:

50570 H

It's in fair condition (about 60%) but can be restored so PM in interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great old guns. I have had several in the past, stock is held on with a thru bolt and has coil springs on the hammers. I have never seen one that was to lose to shoot. The Long Range gun also by Ithaca is the same gun but with out checkering on most models. Keep it and shoot it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts