Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It's like watches. It you want a cheap watch, that may or may not work next month, buy a cheap $10 fashion watch. If you want a watch that will be dependable, but not to impress people, buy a Casio or a Timex. If you want to buy a watch for the status, then knock yourself out, and it will probably work really well, and you will have an investment to pass on to your kids. Shotguns are the same way. Cheap O/Us are like the fashion watches you buy from the drug store or the street vendor. People that know shotguns, know what they are, and the niche that they fill. Most experienced shotgunners have either owned one, or have learned from others that have owned one. If you decide to buy one, just go into it with your eyes wide open, as to what it is, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

·
Thorn in your side
8,111 Posts
It's like watches. It you want a cheap watch, that may or may not work next month, buy a cheap $10 fashion watch. If you want a watch that will be dependable, but not to impress people, buy a Casio or a Timex. If you want to buy a watch for the status, then knock yourself out, and it will probably work really well, and you will have an investment to pass on to your kids. Shotguns are the same way. Cheap O/Us are like the fashion watches you buy from the drug store or the street vendor. People that know shotguns, know what they are, and the niche that they fill. Most experienced shotgunners have either owned one, or have learned from others that have owned one. If you decide to buy one, just go into it with your eyes wide open, as to what it is, and adjust your expectations accordingly.
Very well stated.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, what are the Casio's and Timex's of the 28ga O/U world?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's called an analogy, explaining a concept probably lost on people that buy cheap watches and cheap shotguns. And people that own cats. :)
Ditto and ditto. Some people just don't want to admit that, most times, what you pay for an item is mostly depends on what it's worth..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tube your existing O/U would be my first choice. Second Choice would be a used Browning (Beretta's don't fit me well). Don't get a Automatic if you plan on doing any reloading. Its a PITA to pick up hulls all the time, and some clubs will not let you pick-up your hulls as well. Last choice for me anyway would be a new inexpensive type Turkey made O/U shotgun. Whatever you do??? Do get a 28 ga. and shoot one!!! You'll learn real fast why they are my favorite ga. to shoot BAR NONE. Get at least a 30 inch barrel, so buy a target type gun. Its just not the same shooting a 3/4 oz load out of a 12 or a 20 gauge gun. The patterns just can't match the 28 ga. Its just magical I guess. Kinda like the 3/4 oz shot it takes. You get 400 loads in a one oz. load out of a 25 lb. bag of shot. And 800 loads for a 1/2 oz load, So one would think that you get 600 for the 3/4 oz load RIGHT???

Wrong. You get like 533 loads. Weird by true LOL. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
353 Posts
First, 28ga is wonderful to shoot, inexpensive to reload and most are quite light. I have Briley ultralight 28 tubes, but they are heavy in my 12ga M-21. I just love the light feeling of a true 28. If you buy a Cheapo, you will get a 8 to 9 lb. trigger pull and barrels that may not be well regulated(probably). If you buy a good one like a Caesar Guerini in the used market, you will get a 3 1/2 lb trigger pull with both barrels POI at a guaranteed 3cm or an inch +.
That makes a 28 super fun to shoot. I shoot trap and SC with all gauges and 28 is by far my favorite --- both with SxS and O/U

21 - 39 of 39 Posts