Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a inexpensive (cheapo) 28 gauge U/O and there a are few brands around. But, it appears that all of them except one are made by the same company in Turkey, then branded to different retailers. Then I ran across the Mossberg Silver Reserve II. A 28 gauge O/U with a 26' barrel. I'm not going to use this gun for anything but maybe 5 stand, skeet or Sporting Clays every once in a while. ERGO: that's why I don't want to pay very much, but would like it to not break after a couple hundred rounds. I was just wondering if any of you have shot this (Mossberg) gun and your opinion of it? Then of course, if you can recommend another brand, please do.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Do you have a 12 gauge O/U that you could put sub gauge tubes in? Using 28 gauge tubes, you wouldn't have to work on the trigger, like you have to for 410 tubes. This would be about the same price as a cheap 28 gauge O/U, and you could be shooting a quality gun, with good triggers, that already fits you, if you have such a gun, as an option. The other thing I do, is reload 3/4 oz 12 gauge shells, and it's just like shooting 28 gauge. I rarely shoot my 28 gauge guns at the range anymore. If you have got the new gun itch, and presently own quality guns, you probably won't be satisfied with a cheap O/U. I have tried that route, and all my cheap O/Us are no longer in my safe. You don't get much when you decide to get rid of them, either.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Do you reload? You will almost have to, if you decide to shoot 28 gauge. Factory ammo is over $10 a box. I have been reloading 12, 20, and 28 gauge using 3/4 oz of shot. It makes my choices of which gun to shoot more fun, as I can shoot all of them with light challenging loads.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I have a Ruger Red Label in 28 ga. and really like it. I handled a CZ some time ago and was impressed. Not sure about current prices though.

Steve

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I have an older SKB and it is built like a bank vault. Super little gun. I paid $500 for it and wouldn't take a $K.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
whats your idea of cheapo? some people here consider 1500.00 cheap. :>

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: Don't go cheap. I bought a lightly used Beretta 686 SP-1 and it has been a great gun. It is one of my favorites. I also use ChamberMates 12 to 28 gauge and they work very well. I also have a Ruger Red Label in 28 gauge and that is a fun little gun also. The price on these has gone way up and are very hard to find now. You may want to consider Briley sidekicks for your 12 gauge. The 28 gauge is one sweet gauge to shoot. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ruger Red Label is the best true 28 gauge frame O/U in that price range.

Legacy imports a "Pointer" O/U 28 gauge in the $500 range, it's probably the best choice.

·
Thorn in your side
8,111 Posts
I'd buy a used Browning before spending the money a Mossberg or Huglu. You get what you pay for. Resale on the used Browning will be close to what you paid for it. Not so with the other 2.
I agree. I just bought a used Citori 28ga. I shopped around and considered a "cheap" gun, but opted for something that would last, and had resale value.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would buy a semi-auto for the use you describe in your post. All those cheap o/u guns are just what you say "cheap"

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Tube your existing O/U would be my first choice. Second Choice would be a used Browning (Beretta's don't fit me well). Don't get a Automatic if you plan on doing any reloading. Its a PITA to pick up hulls all the time, and some clubs will not let you pick-up your hulls as well. Last choice for me anyway would be a new inexpensive type Turkey made O/U shotgun. Whatever you do??? Do get a 28 ga. and shoot one!!! You'll learn real fast why they are my favorite ga. to shoot BAR NONE. Get at least a 30 inch barrel, so buy a target type gun. Its just not the same shooting a 3/4 oz load out of a 12 or a 20 gauge gun. The patterns just can't match the 28 ga. Its just magical I guess. Kinda like the 3/4 oz shot it takes. You get 400 loads in a one oz. load out of a 25 lb. bag of shot. And 800 loads for a 1/2 oz load, So one would think that you get 600 for the 3/4 oz load RIGHT???

Wrong. You get like 533 loads. Weird by true LOL. break em all. Jeff

1 - 20 of 39 Posts