Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so for the years I have been shooting I have always broke the target really hard but when i miss i feel like i do not know were I am missing could i be lifting my head or not seeing the target well i would rather have 25 soft hits then smash 23 targets like I have been doing.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,211 Posts
Hi so for the years I have been shooting I have always broke the target really hard but when i miss i feel like i do not know were I am missing could i be lifting my head or not seeing the target well i would rather have 25 soft hits then smash 23 targets like I have been doing.
It’s all relative. If the program is 25, sure. But if I luck my way through 25, I’m eventually going to fall apart in a 100 or 200 bird event.

If you don’t know where you missed, you’re losing your bird-bead-eye relationship.
Could be lifting your head.
Could be bead checking.
Could be doing both.
Have someone watch you and maybe video yourself. This will help.

Are you moving before you are seeing the target clearly? My bad moves are almost all a result of this and I frequently don’t know where I miss because I pick my head up or bead check when I don’t catch the target cleanly out of the house.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
It’s all relative. If the program is 25, sure. But if I luck my way through 25, I’m eventually going to fall apart in a 100 or 200 bird event.

If you don’t know where you missed, you’re losing your bird-bead-eye relationship.
Could be lifting your head.
Could be bead checking.
Could be doing both.
Have someone watch you and maybe video yourself. This will help.

Are you moving before you are the target clearly? My bad moves are almost all a result of this and I frequently don’t know where I miss because I pick my head up or bead check when I don’t catch the target cleanly out of the house.
And it could be that: a) the target slipped through a hole in your less-than-perfect (raggedy) X% pattern or b) the target was struck by one or more pellets and simply didn't break (there is ample photo evidence of this on other threads on this forum). So, there are several credible reasons why a target didn't break. Think about it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If a clay target slipped through your pattern, you didn't have it centred, you fringed it. One pellet hits, you weren't robbed, you missed.
I can't diagnose your shooting, but if I miss, I lifted my head off the stock or stopped my swing through.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Also could be occasional cross dominance where the off eye takes over on some shots. It is very confusing when it happens and hard to diagnose.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Remember “nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm”. (Emerson)
You have to believe in yourself, if you can break one target you can break them all.
Positive attitude will help, good luck.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Find an old head who knows the game to watch you shoot, or get a trainer. Hard to fix the problem if you don't know the problem. Much easier to see a flaw in technique if you are watching the shooter, harder if you are shooting.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You are most likely lifting your head. Since you have no idea why you missed, your hard focus on the bird was really hard. Your subconscious mind saw the bead/barrel clear the target and you fired.

Make more of an effort to stay in the gun.

Jason

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I would rather figure out 2 mystery misses then 25 poorly hit targets.
Focus on seeing the target and making a good move.

If you are crushing 23 targets you are doing a lot of things right.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Eye crossover...... it happens to me, crushing birds then loss, would swear I was on it, slowly over the last few years I’ve felt the gun wiggle at the time of the shot, that was the gun getting back on the target after the shot, further, I’ve noticed recently that it’s usually an easy target, a slight left angle, giving my left eye the opportunity to see it first

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
You say you can "smash" 23 targets.

If you can do this regularly, there is absolutely no reason why you can't "smash" 25 regularly.

This is where the mental aspect of clay target shooting comes into play.

Once you have learned the correct fundamentals and can execute the routine consistently MOST of the time, IMO, in order to take it to the next level, you must understand how the mind works in performance related activities. In doing so, you can then incorporate a specific "mental" routine into your shooting which will allow you to do what you are wanting to do.

IMO, their is no better person on the planet to learn this from than Lanny Bassham. His credentials speak for themselves and his information is readily available to anyone who is willing to learn. Just Google his name.

This is a part of the game that is greatly misunderstood by a great many people, but it can change your shooting life.

It did mine, and has done so for many championship caliber shooters.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you do not know why you are missing targets you will probably not figure it out on your own. Get someone skilled who knows what to look for and have them watch you shoot. Would also recommend that you have someone video tape you shooting. Watching yourself on video can help a person pick up on things they do not realize they are doing.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Not only will Nora point out what is happening when you miss, but she will also take a video of you doing it so that you can enjoy the whole process. Really helps you figure things out.
I would also look at arm shooting. When everything looks good when I pull the trigger and I miss, I look at keeping my gun pulled into my shoulder with both hands and keeping the gun level. Swing with my body, not my arm especially pushing it with my left arm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts