Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you non-residents, you might get a kick out of our lovely politicians! This year, legislation was passed that finally deer hunters can use certain rifles on private land. Included are 243, 6 mm, 30-30, 30-06, all of the big 30 caliber mags but lo and behold, no dangerous 270s, 250s, 25-06s, 7mm etc. No calibers between 243 and 30s! What is scary is that these incompetent numb nuts run our state! Tom Rhoads

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
I guess your politicians are not meat hunters. Must eat chicken instead.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Clueless doesn't begin to explain it. Then again those dreaded ar 15's are SO much more dangerous and powerful than those 30/06's and 30/30s . Just wait til some nut walks into a nightclub with a sawed off 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck and starts blowing people apart

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The state does forbid the use of some very effective calibers for hunting deer Tom. Who knows why but I'd like to know the reason. The .270 is a classic deer cartridge as are the others you mentioned. I just hope that Indiana hunters spend time behind the rifles they plan on using. My fear is that there will be a lot of long shots taken that could result in a lot of crippled deer. Hunters need to know their own capabilities.
George

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Must be related to the nincompoop who proposed seat belts for motorcycles some years ago to try and retain Michigan's highway funding.

HM

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Big kachina
Wait till many of the hunters try long shots across several people's property. Bullets stopping in somebody's living room. There are more buckfever hunters than deer hunters. The gun laws got squeezed thru in another bunch of packaged laws. It was not meant to be.
It's not going to be a good season for hunters. But I think the intent was to make hunters and guns to look very bad.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I don't know what to think. You guys sound like the same people who said Ohio 's open carry laws were going to cause mass murders in the streets of Cleveland.
Does freedom really scare you that much..??
My God, is Indiana the only place to allow hunters to use rifles..??? I just don't "get" the fear.
Will someone please take a moment to explain it.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Don, I stand for freedom...... Most of Indiana (at least in the northern part) is made up of a lot of small wood lots with larger areas of open farm land around them. There is also a lot of wooded areas that are close to subdivisions etc. I think that is why we were always restricted to shotguns, handguns, and muzzle loaders. I don't have a problem with the new law. The state allows use of rifles for varmint hunting anyway. Although bow hunting is my passion I do plan on using a rifle during our gun season. Like I said in my first post, I just don't understand why the state won't allow the use of some great deer calibers like the .270 or .25/06. Also, I just hope hunters who plan on using rifles realize their own marksmanship capabilities and don't take shots longer than they should because they now have a gun that will allow them to shoot farther than a slug gun or muzzle loader.
George

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I hunt with a Remington 700 30.06 or .270. Mostly with the 30.06. A 180 grain 30.06 zeroed at 200 yards will hit the dirt between 500 and 600 yards. The bullet is really dropping fast after 400 yards. Lighter grain bullets shoot a little flatter. Since deer don't live in trees or fly most shots are fired horizontally or parallel to the ground. The biggest concern is beyond the target being shot at within that 600 yards distance. Lets face it. A significant number of hunters dust off their rifle the weekend before deer season and maybe, just maybe take it to the range and check the zero. That is the only time they fire the weapon each year. Too say that their situational awareness in the field leaves something to be desired is an understatement.

I have a friend named Ron. Ron was deer hunting and shot a doe. Ron dragged the deer out of the edge of some woods and started across a snow covered field. Ron said he hadn't gone ten yards into the field when a hunter almost 200 yards away shot him under the left nipple with a .308. Ron fell to the ground. The guy shot again and hit Ron in the ankle. Ron is 6' 4" and was wearing blaze orange coveralls in a wide open snow covered field. The first shot collapsed his lung. He had to be airlifted out. The doctors told Ron the only reason he survived is because it was so cold that his blood coagulated and he didn't bleed out. The shooter who by the way had his young son with him later told police that he thought Ron was deer.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Randy, I am glad your friend made it. Stories like that is why I never carry a deer after I shoot it. I drag it on a thick plastic sheet or a tarp with 10 feet of rope between me and the carcass.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Years ago, a rancher north of Amarillo near the Canadian River had a couple of cows shot. He penned the rest of the surviving cows, ran them through the chute and painted the word "COW" on both sides of them and turned them back out. Had three more shot in a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts