Trapshooters Forum banner

IMR Shotshell Powders Out of Production

4745 Views 27 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Nebs
I dropped a line to my distributor asking when they thought they'd get IMR Green back in stock & was told it's out of production so i asked Hodgdons & sure enough they dropped all the IMR series of Red, Green, & Blue.
Hate to see powders like their IMR series dropped from production. Hadn't had the chance to try the Blue or Red but liked the Green. Back to something else for 1 1/8 loads. Might try Vectan A1 for some fun. Never used it before---if it ever gets back in stock. Otherwise there's always Green Dot or Universal and others.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
I dropped a line to my distributor asking when they thought they'd get IMR Green back in stock & was told it's out of production so i asked Hodgdons & sure enough they dropped all the IMR series of Red, Green, & Blue.
Hate to see powders like their IMR series dropped from production. Hadn't had the chance to try the Blue or Red but liked the Green. Back to something else for 1 1/8 loads. Might try Vectan A1 for some fun. Never used it before---if it ever gets back in stock. Otherwise there's always Green Dot or Universal and others.
Powders are ran in batches on the same production machinery as other powders. What they likely mean is IMR has been ran and they have moved on to other varieties. It has most likely ran it's production run and is now on the bottom of the list waiting for others to run before coming up again on the production schedule. Hodgdon has multiple brands and powders to make. Unless they increase capacity things run in rotation.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Powders are ran in batches on the same production machinery as other powders. What they likely mean is IMR has been ran and they have moved on to other varieties. It has most likely ran it's production run and is now on the bottom of the list waiting for others to run before coming up again on the production schedule. Hogdon has multiple brands and powders to make. Unless they increase capacity things run in rotation.

From my understanding all 3 IMR ,Green,Red,and Blue production was stopped some time ago. just old stock has been on dealer shelves.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I was fortunate to get two 8# IMR Reds direct from Hodgdon back in October. Been searching for IMR Green to back up my depleted stock of Green Dot. This means I continue to search for more Green Dot and start considering alternatives. I noticed it was being dropped from listings on a few reseller websites, so this news makes sense.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm disappointed they dropped IMR Green. I liked it a lot.
Put my vote right alongside yours. It is an excellent powder. I think Hodgdon just needed to give it another year for it to garner a greater following. Shotgunners are slow to adapt to "new", and my take is that they were just beginning to capture more of an audience.

· Registered
2,256 Posts
I tried all of them and they were all good as advertised. Believe they were to make a "unique" powder also but never saw it. Didn't see enough difference in the ones i tried against the ones they replaced to warrant changing from the old. (eg. red for red dot)

· Premium Member
8,110 Posts
This is too bad. I was a fan of the Red. These powders just never worked out quite the way Hodgon envisioned. They initially touted them as drop-in replacements for the Alliant "Dots." Once they found out this wasn't the case, they quit making the boasts. While the powders may have had the same or similar burn rate as their Dot counterparts, the density was not the same. That said, I was an early adopter of Red and bought a couple of 8 lb. jugs from CAC as late as last October.

· Registered
81 Posts
From what I heard it didn't catch on like they thought it would. The people that use the "dot" powders did not switch over. Last fall I was able to get IMR Red and Green for $12 a bottle when they were closing it out. Needless to say I purchased a bunch of both, and glad I did.

· Registered
544 Posts
I'm disappointed they dropped IMR Green. I liked it a lot.
Me too, I only load the 16 anymore and for 7/8 oz. loads with DR16 wads prefer IMR Green over Green Dot. But after Alliant won the lawsuit from Hodgdon for Clay Dot name infringement ~15 years ago I will use Hodgdon powders over Alliant anytime I can based on principal alone. Don't need a judge or lawyers to me right from wrong.

I just cracked open my last 8 pounder of IMR Green couple of weeks ago. Guess I will stop looking for more and get Green Dot instead. When it finally shows up someplace.

· Premium Member
8,110 Posts
I don't care how brilliant of a marketing and or development engineer one thinks they are, it's just flat dumb to try and challenge Red Dot or Green Dot for market share.
They did, and won. Just not with the IMR powders. Hodgdon had a commanding market lead over Alliant with Clays and International. Problem was, the plant where they were produced, in Australia, burned down. It caused a massive shortage when half the cannister powder supply got cut off and everyone started chasing what was left. Hodgdon is still trying to get back to where it was with Clays before the fire. They had some initial hiccups with quality control (density variation) from their new supplier (General Dynamics). I have not heard/seen any complaints about Clays in some time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.