Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a jug of this, never used but heard it was similar to Green Dot. Have used GD in the past and liked it.

Loaded the below and I found it to kick me pretty good for a shell less than 1200 FPS. Hodgson website says 19.5gr = 1200 FPS. I shot a Nitro 27 factory for comparison, not quite as much recoil but felt pretty close.

STS hull
19 gr IMR Green
Win 209
Claybuster fig 8 replacement wad

Is this a hot load or am I just gun shy from shooting light 1oz loads?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
There's only what, 50 fps more for the Nitro 27? Both have 1 1/8 oz. of shot. I would expect the recoil of the 1200 fps load to be less, but not much less. I'd say your difference in felt recoil is more do to the heavier shot charge than the increase in velocity.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Simple math. If they both had the same shot load, and the Nitro had less recoil, then the reload was faster. Seems a lot of reloading recipes are faster than shown.

I hope they are wrong about these powders being dropped. A definite improvement on the original.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simple math. If they both had the same shot load, and the Nitro had less recoil, then the reload was faster. Seems a lot of reloading recipes are faster than shown.

I hope they are wrong about these powders being dropped. A definite improvement on the original.
I'm thinking the velocity must be higher than published. Need to get a chronograph. Im going to load the equivalent with Titegroup and see if it feels any softer. I actually think that's whats in the Nitros?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I'm thinking the velocity must be higher than published. Need to get a chronograph. Im going to load the equivalent with Titegroup and see if it feels any softer. I actually think that's whats in the Nitros?
Titegroup is not in Nitro's. It was at one time, but now Remington uses a proprietary powder that is remarkably similar to Titegroup. Made in the same factory. Almost identical, just not the Hodgdon product.

See below for my results of testing with IMR Green (and Titegroup) for almost exactly the load you noted above. It looks to be a very good load.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/pressure-and-velocity-testing-3-loads-21-march-2020.875397/

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I believe the IMR green is being discontinued.
I have heard that too, but I think it will still be available for a while.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Backed the 1 1/8oz off to 17.5 grs of IMR Green. Much softer and breaks 16s very hard. Speed should be 1145 or less, I couldn't tell a difference speed wise vs. 19 gr at 16 yards.

Also loaded up some 1oz 8s with 17 grs of IMR Green with a CB8100 wad. This is a nice load.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Backed the 1 1/8oz off to 17.5 grs of IMR Green. Much softer and breaks 16s very hard. Speed should be 1145 or less, I couldn't tell a difference speed wise vs. 19 gr at 16 yards.
Smart move.
Also loaded up some 1oz 8s with 17 grs of IMR Green with a CB8100 wad. This is a nice load.
Not so smart. IMR Green is not really well suited for slow 1 ounce loads. There are better powders out there for that.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smart move.

Not so smart. IMR Green is not really well suited for slow 1 ounce loads. There are better powders out there for that.
IMR posts quite a few loads on their website for 1oz. What would be the issue? Too little pressure?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
IMR posts quite a few loads on their website for 1oz. What would be the issue? Too little pressure?
Yeah, that's it basically. The risk of incomplete combustion, and possibly inconsistent muzzle velocities.

But that said, a LOT of people use Green Dot in slow one ounce loads and swear by it. I just think it's the wrong powder for that job.

For low velocity one ounce loads, better powders would be Clays, Titewad, 700x, IMR Red, Red Dot, Clay Dot, and some others. These are more suited for that load.

Faster burn, a little higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
With that said, your thoughts on using IMR Green with a higher velocity 1 oz load, shall we say 1250 to 1300 fps?
Yeah, if you bump the speed up a bit like that, the pressure gets into the right neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Thanks. ...am contemplating using IMR Green for 1 oz 7 1/2's at around 1290 for sporting clays. I shot with guys using that load last year and was impressed with its performance.
I think that would be a good application for that powder. There are several loads in the data tables for that combination.

Reactions: sandcountyalmanac

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
With that said, your thoughts on using IMR Green with a higher velocity 1 oz load, shall we say 1250 to 1300 fps?
Thanks. ...am contemplating using IMR Green for 1 oz 7 1/2's at around 1290 for sporting clays. I shot with guys using that load last year and was impressed with its performance.
Use a recipe with a hot primer. JMO

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, that's it basically. The risk of incomplete combustion, and possibly inconsistent muzzle velocities.

But that said, a LOT of people use Green Dot in slow one ounce loads and swear by it. I just think it's the wrong powder for that job.

For low velocity one ounce loads, better powders would be Clays, Titewad, 700x, IMR Red, Red Dot, Clay Dot, and some others. These are more suited for that load.

Faster burn, a little higher pressure.
What's your thought on TiteGroup for a 1oz load loaded around 1200 fps? So far I am I am liking TiteGroup better than both IMR Green and 700X, ESPECIALLY for 1 1/8oz loads.

I'm sure it's in my head but to me TiteGroup even when loaded up to 18.4 grs (Oaklies, protectors,etc.) it feels like a less violent ignition when compared to say a Silver bullet, Aquila handicap or 700x loaded @ 18.2 gr.

Scientifically all between my ears right? I do load my 1 1/8oz TiteGroup with a 1oz wad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts