Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone loading IRM Green? Looking to load a 1225 fps shell For 27 yard line! In a Nitro
Hull, I have tried green dot, not bad but dirty! I will appreciate your opinions!
Thanks Don from Ohio

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have loaded both powders and I don't find IMR Green to be any cleaner.

That being said 20 grains of IMRG with a Win 209 primer, AA wad, 1 1/8oz of shot, should get you close to what you want.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've loaded it in a GC hull with 20.5 grains over a Win209, Remington figure 8 and have found it to be high performing and exceptionally clean.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,826 Posts
Just a heads up, the IMR line of Green and Red (not sure which others) have been discontinued. I don't know when they fully stopped producing it, but availability will become non-existent when current stock it depleted. Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
^^^ I hope to find some on clearance sale...

I might but I’ll probably be broke anyways.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just a heads up, the IMR line of Green and Red (not sure which others) have been discontinued. I don't know when they fully stopped producing it, but availability will become non-existent when current stock it depleted. Just an FYI.
Has this been verified? I haven't seen anything online or elsewhere that indicates discontinuation.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,826 Posts
Has this been verified? I haven't seen anything online or elsewhere that indicates discontinuation.
I am involved in running the inventory for our club and was told by our supplier in March of this year that the colored IMR powders were being discontinued. Also, Tim contacted his source and verified it as well. Here is the thread from a while back. See post #2 by Timb99:

IMR GREEN/ NO LONGER

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am involved in running the inventory for our club and was told by our supplier in March of this year that the colored IMR powders were being discontinued. Also, Tim contacted his source and verified it as well. Here is the thread from a while back. See post #2 by Timb99: IMR GREEN/ NO LONGER
OK. Thanks for that information. I'm sad to see it go.

·
Perazzi MX10RS
1,826 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there. Most of the info has just come from inside sources. When we did our club component order this spring and I noticed the IMR Green & Red powders were on clearance, it prompted me to ask the supplier (Sunset Distributors) and that's the answer I got. Tough to say if they have actually stopped production of them yet, unless @timb99 has the info from an insider.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just curious, Where does the data that supports the posted load?
Hodgdon only has data using the RXP12 wad with that load.
MG
MG, the wad substitution chart put out by Hodgdon shows the CB 3118 as interchangeable with the Rem Figure 8. That load is listed with the CB wad at 20.8 grains, but I didn't want to bump up a bushing to put me over. Loading that recipe with .3 gr less does fine. I base my loading it on that chart being valid.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there. Most of the info has just come from inside sources. When we did our club component order this spring and I noticed the IMR Green & Red powders were on clearance, it prompted me to ask the supplier (Sunset Distributors) and that's the answer I got. Tough to say if they have actually stopped production of them yet, unless @timb99 has the info from an insider.
I chatted with my sources a while back, so this is old info, but they said at that time that Hodgdon is discontinuing the "color" line of powders altogether. When it runs out, it runs out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I chatted with my sources a while back, so this is old info, but they said at that time that Hodgdon is discontinuing the "color" line of powders altogether. When it runs out, it runs out.
I do hate to see the IMR Green go. I bought my first keg this past spring and was impressed with it's performance as well as clean burning characteristics. It's a good powder. ....seems that we shooters are pretty much traditionalists and didn't want to pull away from Green Dot. Anyway, I think a lot of shooters have missed out on a great powder.

·
Registered
11,323 Posts
MG, the wad substitution chart put out by Hodgdon shows the CB 3118 as interchangeable with the Rem Figure 8. That load is listed with the CB wad at 20.8 grains, but I didn't want to bump up a bushing to put me over. Loading that recipe with .3 gr less does fine. I base my loading it on that chart being valid.
Hopefully this will help. Based on actual testing:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I do hate to see the IMR Green go. I bought my first keg this past spring and was impressed with it's performance as well as cleaning burning characteristics. It's a good powder. ....seems that we shooters are pretty much traditionalists and didn't want to pull away from Green Dot. Anyway, I think a lot of shooters have missed out on a great powder.
So are you implying like the OP that Green Dot is not clean burning too?

·
Registered
592 Posts
So are you implying like the OP that Green Dot is not clean burning too?
Not at all. I had never used IMR Green previous to my purchase this past spring and was commenting on my experience with that powder with nothing whatsoever being inferred relative to any other powder. I found the IMR Green to be clean burning, period.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone loading IRM Green? Looking to load a 1225 fps shell For 27 yard line! In a Nitro
Hull, I have tried green dot, not bad but dirty! I will appreciate your opinions!
Thanks Don from Ohio
I never understood why people complaint about powder being dirty. Yes, it's nice looking down the barrel and seeing that all the powder is burnt. But I clean my guns every time I shoot so that's never an issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts