Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMR Announces New Powders - The Firearm Blog

IMR Target – fast burning pistol powder with fine grain, small flakes
  • IMR Red – clean burning 12 gauge shotshell powder; also good for reduced power handgun loads such as Cowboy loads
  • IMR Green – another shotshell powder; burns slower than red – good for trap handicap and sporting clays
  • IMR Unequal – small flake powder for a large number of shotshell and pistol loads
  • IMR Blue – slowest burning powder of the new introductions; good for heavy shotshell loads include 10 gauge and 3″/3.5″ 12 gauge

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Interesting. Wondering if the target is in response to all of these carry weapons with barrels 3 inches or less.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Be interesting to know what the burn ratio is to current powders on the market. I agree name selection might be confusing to some.

·
Registered
597 Posts

Thanks Joe,

I just checked Hodgdon's reloading web site and they haven't posted any loads for the new IMR powders as 0f 11-21-2016

Eddie

PRESS RELEASE
November 13, 2016

IMR® Legendary Powders Releases New IMR Family of Powders
IMR Legendary Powders is excited to announce a new family of shotshell and pistol propellants.

We believe it takes a Legendary Powder brand like IMR to improve this series of legendary powders. This series of five popular burn-rate powders covers an extremely wide range of shotshell and pistol cartridges, utilizing new, green technology. Each powder was designed to match current shotshell bushing charts, so the handloader will already have the appropriate bushings available for each load. This new technology burns clean, providing accurate metering and top performance characteristics. All of these powders are REACH compliant, meaning these propellants are not harmful to the environment.

IMR Target™ The first powder in this new family is a fast-burning pistol powder. This fine-grained, small-flake pistol powder meters superbly, providing very precise loads in even the smallest pistol cartridges like the .25 ACP!

IMR Red™ The second powder in this new family was designed to be an efficient, clean-burning, 12-gauge target powder. IMR Red also performs nicely in various lead pistol target loads, such as match competition loads and Cowboy reduced loads.

IMR Green™ The third in this new family is slightly slower-burning than IMR Red, making it an ideal Trap Handicap powder and soon a favorite with Sporting Clays enthusiasts.

IMR Unequal™ IMR Unequal combines small-sized flakes for uniform metering in all pistol applications and its burn speed accommodates a wide range of shotshell and pistol cartridges.

IMR Blue™ The slowest burn speed of the five new propellants, IMR BLUE, has excellent application for heavy 12-gauge 2-¾-inch, 3-inch and 3-1/2-inch field loads.

These new powders will be available in January 2017 at quality reloading powder dealers everywhere. IMR Target and IMR Blue will be available in one-pound (1lb), four-pound (4lb) and eight-pound (8lb) containers and IMR Red, IMR Green and IMR Unequal in 14-ounce (14 oz), four-pound (4lb) and eight-pound (8lb) containers.

Complete load data for these versatile and useful propellants is accessible on the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center at www.HodgdonReloading.com.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.
Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, sons JB and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Winchester®, Goex® and VihtaVuori® brands.

Learn more about the brands at these websites and connect with the Hodgdon brand on Facebook or YouTube.
Hodgdon Powder

IMR Powder

Winchester Powder

Goexpowder

·
Registered
92 Posts
With those names - I am sure that they are targeting the Red Dot/ Green Dot/ Blue Dot Alliant powders - they even describe the uses in a similar manner. I am trying to determine what the equivalent Alliant powder would be to the Unequal - perhaps Unique?

·
Registered
183 Posts
With those names - I am sure that they are targeting the Red Dot/ Green Dot/ Blue Dot Alliant powders - they even describe the uses in a similar manner. I am trying to determine what the equivalent Alliant powder would be to the Unequal - perhaps Unique?
Unequal pretty much sounds like Unique to me. IMR target sounds like a Bullseye replacement.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Data won't be necessary for the products since they will be either unavailable or priced to sell only to strange people

Reactions: Geoman15

·
Registered
791 Posts
I guess if Alliant can clone Clays, Hodgdon can clone the Alliant products.
Only seems fair?
Price and availability? That's the way unanswered question.
It'll take something substantial to make me want to switch, like "in-stock" and $20 less for a 8 pounder. In stock would probably do.
George

·
Registered
92 Posts
We could only hope. PB and 7625 were some of the best. Darn shame they discontinued them.
It is strange to me that they discontinued those two powders based on sales (supposedly due to poor demand), saying that they performance could be achieved thru other current powders, then a year or two later introduce 5 new powders that directly compete with others that have a good market share. I loved PB for 16ga reloading - there were a ton of loads for it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
This is my take.

Sales has been stagnating and this is an attempt to raise sales in the flagging IMR brand name. Hodgdon's management wants to stir some attention towards their product.

When you think about the confined parameters all gun powders must adhere to regarding safe pressures,burn rates,velocities ETC for sale to the public.
The powder available for small arms, rifle pistol ,or clay shooting and hunting are all quite similar and actually boils down to personal choices, price
and availability .

I really doubt the formulations of these new IMR powders will have changed all that much except in their new visual appearance and packaging.
The new load data coming out may confirm this.

Eddie

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
We have enough powders now, we don't any more. HMB
Agreed, a steady and available supply of some of the already established powders would be a good thing. More varieties that are continually on national back order for months and years at a time is really no benefit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts