Trapshooters Forum banner

Improving Citori CX Trigger?

3006 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  ishoottrap
Hi all, I handled a CG Invictus over the weekend and was impressed with the trigger. After shooting a few rounds of sporting clays with my CX white model I’m looking into improving the crispness and decreasing pull weight if possible. Has anyone here had this done to a Citori and can recommend a Smith to do the work?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
I have a CG gun , a Perazzi and a Browning CX style gun there is a difference in all the triggers . I don;t let it bother me . They all go bang when the trigger is pulled without having to use any amount of excessive pressure to make it noticeable when taking the shot . It is more about gun fit for me and concentration on the bird than anything else. It would be great if they all felt like the Perazzi but it is not something I go and think about when I get to the line and it is my turn . I don;t see anything wrong with my Browning trigger either.
A few weeks previous a friend of mine who shoots a new Silver Seitz insisted I shoot his gun for a round . All he kept talking about was how incredible the trigger was on his gun . I know Silver Seitz are well known for their trigger lock time and crispness.
So I took the gun to the line and proceeded to miss the first 4 out of 5 shots with it .The next station was not much better. As I am walking to the 3rd station I am thinking about what is wrong with me or this gun and then I realized all I was doing was thinking about what he said about his fabulous trigger . Threw me right off . I forgot about the trigger and then just shot the gun . Ran the next 14 missed the last one . All was good . He asked me what I thought , I said it;s all right . Think he was disappointed.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Trying taking off the big shoe off the CX trigger. It improved one I owned a lot. There was nothing wrong with the trigger itself the "slack" was a tiny movement on the interchangeable shoes.

· Registered
833 Posts
These are both sear traits. Whether it breaks crisply or not as a steady slow pull is applied is the amount of engagement and weight is the angle. They're not independent adjustments and there are other factors such as surface finish on the sliding parts. I had several 10m precision target airguns (FWB, Anshutz, Hamerli, Walther, Steyr) with phenomenal triggers and could really tweak them in to be just like I liked them with their factory adjustments. Some folks are really aware of their shotgun trigger behavior but aside from a Beretta semi-auto I tried at a dealer demo day once which had a pull so long and heavy I thought I had the safety on, I don't notice anything but the free travel. I mount the gun, take up the free travel and call. I never notice anything after that. I think it's just personal shootings style. Best of luck with yours!

-Scot

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m coming into the clay sports from precision rifle/pistol shooting so that might be why I’m more “aware” of the trigger on the CX. It’s not a bad trigger, just not as nice as the CG or other higher end guns. But I shouldn’t expect a gun in this price range to be as nice as those either. Eventually I’d like to upgrade to a Zoli Z gun or CG Invictus but until then I’ll get more practice with the CX.

· Registered
858 Posts
My Citori had the worst creep of any quality O/U or SxS that I've ever shot. My local gunsmith tried the trigger and said "shoot it some, it will smooth out". Well, I've since put about 5,000 rounds through it and it is smoother - but it still creeps a mile. I'd love to know where I could sent to have the creep reduced. Thanks, Ed

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Mine had a creep in it, I talked to a local gunsmith, he said the sear needed to be micro welded and then reground.
I decided to look at it myself. I found the linkages were rubbing. So reached in with my tiny points file and gave the linkage just a couple strokes. No more rubbing, or creep. It's still a bit heavy, but I don't normally notice that.

· Registered
13,540 Posts
I’m looking into improving the crispness and decreasing pull weight if possible. Has anyone here had this done to a Citori and can recommend a Smith to do the work?
Just a FYI as it were. If your Browning shotgun ever needs to be send back to the factory for any reason for warranty work!!!! You will void the warranty if you have had anyone tamper with the triggers in any way. They will flat out say they will not work on there shotguns once the triggers that have been converted. You will have to pay the smith to bring the triggers back to factory specs before you send the shotgun to Browning. Then pay your smith to convert the triggers back to the way you like them. So do keep this in mind if your considering having your browning triggers up-graded in any way. Phillips may have more detailed info this. Since he was a Browning smith at one time. Good Luck to you on your Journey. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Just a FYI as it were. If your Browning shotgun ever needs to be send back to the factory for any reason for warranty work!!!! You will void the warranty if you have had anyone tamper with the triggers in any way. They will flat out say they will not work on there shotguns once the triggers that have been converted. You will have to pay the smith to bring the triggers back to factory specs before you send the shotgun to Browning. Then pay your smith to convert the triggers back to the way you like them. So do keep this in mind if your considering having your browning triggers up-graded in any way. Phillips may have more detailed info this. Since he was a Browning smith at one time. Good Luck to you on your Journey. break em all jeff
So why would anyone send their gun to Browning to adjust if Phillip has converted the triggers? Seems a no-brains-at-all-needed conclusion that Phillip would be the guy to reset/adjust his work.

· Registered
13,540 Posts
So why would anyone send their gun to Browning to adjust if Phillip has converted the triggers?
Say, you had a barrel failure on your Browning shotgun. The barrel replacement could be covered under Browning's lifetime warranty. If you had Phillip or anyone else convert your triggers on your browning. They would have to be convert your triggers back before you can send your shotgun to browning. Browning will not do any warranty work on one of there shotguns if the triggers have been altered in any way. Once Browning is aware you altered the shotgun in any way, you have lost your warranty forever. So, My point is you maybe paying for 3 trigger jobs, if you ever need to use your lifetime Browning warranty for your shotgun. break em all jeff

· Registered
833 Posts
I’m coming into the clay sports from precision rifle/pistol shooting so that might be why I’m more “aware” of the trigger on the CX. It’s not a bad trigger, just not as nice as the CG or other higher end guns. But I shouldn’t expect a gun in this price range to be as nice as those either. Eventually I’d like to upgrade to a Zoli Z gun or CG Invictus but until then I’ll get more practice with the CX.
Yes for both. Just removing the creep and over travel would really make a world of difference. The weight isn’t too bad, I’d estimate around 5 lbs or so.
Overtravel is tricky as some overtravel is necessary to keep the gun from doubling with recoil. The connector "side shelves" have to be well above the sear with the trigger in it's rearward position. Nothing like the overtravel on a precision trigger. You might be interested in this: Browning Citori recoil reset trigger basics

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.