Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what the Impact of the 2 yd reduction was to most shooters.I started out on the 24.5 yd line,got reduced to 22.5 gained a yard back to 23.5 and then got reduced again to the 21.5.I had Pita yardage 0F 22.5 also so after that one I asked that my Pita yardage be reduduced to 21.5 which they did.....now I'm back to the 25 which seems to be my wall I've never made it past there,besides a few new buckles there was really no Impact since I'm pretty much back where I started,did anyone make a big gain by moving back for a while? Jerry

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Appears to me it worked for you. Moved you up where you got back into them and gained a few wins. Confidence is a big issue in shooting.. appears you gained a good bit to come back so quickly. Congratulations !!

I also hit a wall at the 25.. made it to that point 3 times until I broke through it.. don't get discouraged, work on breaking a target as hard as you can and it will fall into place when you least expect it.

Good Luck,
Jerry B

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
Jerry, I guess one of the main impacts that I have seen from the 2 yard reductions is when Im squadding I noticed a huge jump in the # of shooters that are now on the 18 and 19 yard lines who where once on the 20 or 21 and have gone a season or 2 without gaining anything and they are fairly regular shooters.Good-Bad or indifferent just something I noticed.George

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
One of the unintended consequences has been squading nightmares. I still question how 18yds can be considered handicap yardage, and would like to see statistics showing how scores differ between the 18 & 20.

Best... mike

·
Vendor
19,363 Posts
Border Bandit Mike. And too, you probably noticed that the long yardage squads are often not full? Even the early ones? A long yarder can show up late and still get out early.

Jack

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with 18yds for adult males isn't really handicap yardage,I would make more sense if they moved singles back to the 18 yd line......that would open another can of worms I'm sure :)

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
I've never understood this 2 yard reduction gift.

Wouldn't you be offered a reduction anyway at your 1,000 target review if your average was too low?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
The EC considered how the average registered ATA shooters fared on singles and saw they would've also qualified for a reduction from the 16 yard line too if possible!

Our delegates said no to the wholesale reductions but the EC did it anyway and I think it was a good move for the benefit of those so deserving. Yardage and reductions are earned in our sport and should be addressed as such.

The fact that some shooters are caught up in their only desire to attain the max yardage is a noble and worthy goal but it must be earned. Thank goodness they did away with some of the cheap punch routes which makes the max a tad tougher to earn today.

HAP

·
Vendor
19,363 Posts
Hap is a "bit holier than thou" this am. But then he got his with western dry air targets. In the midwest GBDLS has a derogatory name for our targets... ADd in the "Dry air" western targets and you'll have "DP" targets. Easier than regular White Flyers.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
LMAO Shooting on a Saturday I received a half yard punch. When I got home there was a two yard reduction in the mail. DAMN.

I two Jerry think it is a croak of whooy to have the ability to move up that far.

Personally, in my opinion, to receive a reduction the 1000 targets need to be shot in a single season.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Yardage is earned regardless if it is forward or backwards. Reviews may shatter your ego but I think it's meant to keep shooters competitive. I have always taken mine and sometimes hold my 27 yard pin to build my confidence back up. My first reduction from the 27 really made me focus and I shot a 98 from 26 a few days later to return to the back fence. Sometimes we need a wake-up-call or a poke to our ego. Everyone has the freedom to choose what's best for them. I just love the smell of burnt powder and broken clays along with the great friends I have made trap shooting. Works for me!

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jack S., yes, I shot the targets I could near home. The fact I may only get a day or two a month that I get to shoot a 100 targets pain free should have me on the 18 also.

I'd wager a nickel to your donut hole you can't really tell me what the real and only differences is between western and eastern thrown targets?

If our sport is to continue working long term, we'd all better adhere to rules made for the benefit of our sport, whether or not we agree with them!

HAP

·
Administrator
8,518 Posts
I agree with perazzmx8.THe 1 yard reductions were designed to keep shooters competitive.I do not know if the targets we shoot in MT. here,especially NW MT. would be considered dry air targets or not but I do know we start shooting registered again here in March and I can say that March thru May registered targets in MT. can be alittle sporty!I guess seeing some of the shooters that I know and see on a regular basis that have had 2 yard reductions say from the 20 to the 18 have not gotten their yardage back.When the first set of 2 yard reductions came out and I was squadding our first shoot of the year I was really surprised at all the 18 and 19 yard shooters we had.Needless to say I had the brite idea that buying that yardage group in the Calcutta did not work(LOL)George

·
Vendor
19,363 Posts
You mandatory reduction guys. the problem I have is that you look down on the guys that reject the reduction as being inferior in some way. could it be that some of us have reasons we consider valid? Do we have to air those on TS.com for your judgement? And here is the biggy...

Should we just come and shoot the singles and leave? Should we just not come at all?

jack

And personally, I am glad some like the 4 yards they got and more so that they won or shot more competitively. But they had that opportunity in years past. they took the 2 and/or 4 yards to gain an advantage. And had they practiced equally as hard at their longer yardage as they did to get there, likely they would not be part of the group to start with.

Count me as "not a fan"

Although, I would still like to have the ATA tell us how many more hcp targets were shot over the past 2 years due to the reductions.

·
Registered
14,684 Posts
Jack, I used to be for mandatory reductions, but now I'm against it. (Starting to sound like Kerry). If the ATA would lose shooters because of it, I'd be against it.

But I question why the 2 yard reductions were accepted by so many shooters when those same shooters were probably offered reductions in the past years when their 1,000 target reviews were performed?

Was it a "If Fred and Bob are gonna take it, I better too because I'll never be able to compete with him" thought process ???? Or was it because they thought they had a better chance to win some bucks at the first big shoot?

We all know 1 or 2 "target managers". This was right up their alley, so they obviously took the yardage.

All of a sudden, we only have 1 long yardage squad at our small ATA club events. We use to have 3-4.

So, what changed? Was it squadding with friends? Obviously, there were a lot of reductions turned down in prior years. At the Cardinal Center quite a few early week handicap events have short yardage shooters on the leaders board. But from Thursday thru Sunday, when the big boys show up, That usually changes.

·
Vendor
19,363 Posts
Thanks Rick. I"ve heard that many times and yet my life does no let me travel to take advantage of those conditions. I am a "local" guy for reasons of my choosing.

·
Vendor
19,363 Posts
Setter. Quite a few of us left.But quite a few that want to tell us what to do as well.

GBDLS Took his. Perhaps he'll ring in

1 - 20 of 102 Posts