Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,723 Posts
I would recommend the shingles vaccine. I have some pretty good scars from my incident. What's strange is that I had the exact same path as two of my older cousins. Mine (and theirs) started just above my left eye, across my forehead and up onto my scalp. God-awful pain...combine that with a new job at the time and I was totally miserable. Not only was I in pain, I was realizing the new job I agreed to was in no way accurately represented during my interview. One of the worst months of my life...I also believe I have slight damage to my left eye as a result of the shingles. At times it effects my shooting (both eyes open). Wind is a nightmare and I almost end up shooting one eyed as my eye will tear and water for a little bit then feels like it's got something in it. Very distracting!
The last thing we need is another excuse to miss targets so "get this one done"!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you haven't had the vaccine, get the shot. I'm another that had shingles, and it's surely something you don't want to experience. Mine lasted for over six weeks and was extremely painful.

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
We have an old friend that got the shingles and it is in his eye lid, they told him it will probably never go away, it has been there for about 5 years so i got my shot ASAP, he was always after me to get it

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I had the shingles and wish that on no one. By all means get the shot. I am surprised that it is recommended to get the shot even if you have had shingles. I was told by a doctor that it wasn't necessary if you have had the shingles.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,723 Posts
You CAN get it again, it's just not as likely to develop after you've already had it but it is still recommended to receive the vaccine.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
My girl friend had the shingles Had the shot and got the shingles again!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
I had shingles and let me tell you it's no fun.

After they finally went away, I got the shot and have not had them since.

I dang sure don't miss them. lol

Hauxfan!

·
Premium Member
18,261 Posts
My pharmacist told me you can still get the shingles after getting the shot. I remember when my granddad had shingles back in the early 60's.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Question out there. I never chicken pox as a child or a adult. Do I need to get the shingles shot???

I think because I never had chicken pox that I don't have the virus in my system. I guess I really need to ask my doc, but I figure I'll ask here first. So what do guys think??? break em all Jeff

I did have the mump's both sides though!!! If that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you get a scaly rash with a little nerve pain, GO TO THE DOCTOR immediately. I have a suppressed immune system so I am especially watchful for potential illnesses. When I found a small scaly patch on my back I went to urgent care, was diagnosed with shingles and they gave me a prescription for an anti viral medication. The pain and the rash were gone in two days. I watched two shooting buddies suffer for 5-6 weeks with shingles and never want to suffer through that. I am not eligible for the vaccine because it is a live vaccine. If you even suspect that you might have shingles, see a doctor to save yourself a LOT of pain.

Mike

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question out there. I never chicken pox as a child or a adult. Do I need to get the shingles shot???
No to shingles, but you can still get chickenpox if you haven't had a chickenpox vaccine.

People 13 years of age and older (who have never had chickenpox or received chickenpox vaccine) should get two doses at least 28 days apart.

Chickenpox (also called varicella) is a common childhood disease. It is usually mild, but it can be serious, especially in young infants and adults.

• It causes a rash, itching, fever, and tiredness.
  • It can lead to severe skin infection, scars, pneumonia, brain damage, or death.
  • The chickenpox virus can be spread from person to person through the air, or by contact with fluid from chickenpox blisters.
  • A person who has had chickenpox can get a painful rash called shingles years later.
  • Before the vaccine, about 11,000 people were hospitalized for chickenpox each year in the United States.
  • Before the vaccine, about 100 people died each year as a result of chickenpox in the United States.
Chickenpox vaccine can prevent chickenpox.

Most people who get chickenpox vaccine will not get chickenpox. But if someone who has been vaccinated does get chickenpox, it is usually very mild. They will have fewer blisters, are less likely to have a fever, and will recover faster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the effectiveness of the first varicella vaccine is about 85%. getting a second dose brings that up into the high 90%. but you can still get chicken pox. always best to get chicken pox naturally as child.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you must have missed your own chicken pox party? you woulda been the guest of honor!

but no, it was not fun for me either but aside from people with poor immune system, you would not want it in your 60s.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I should probably get it. Had it 3 times....thankfully all minor. Have seen some nasty cases. Don't want it again.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I just heard from a pharmaceutical researcher that a more effective vaccine should be available within a year. I asked if she would recommend waiting for that vaccine and she recommended getting the current vaccine and getting the future vaccine if and when it is approved. Hope his helps.

Mike

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
It's a $200 preposition if your insurance doesn't cover it. I think its well worth the money even you have to pay yourself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts