Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've reloaded nothing but compression formed double As forever, and still have plenty of hulls. However the wife has seen pink top gun hulls and put in the request for her own. Well after two months of tryin, I give up. I just cant get a good stack up or crimp. Nothing but AAs from here on out.

PS I know remeingtons are better, but AAs were always easier to come by.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
You need a dense powder to reload the Federals, and the newer AA HS hulls. Your older CF hulls can use bulky powder without a problem. So its change powders, or you need the new shorter wad from Downrange. I'm not sure if this wad works in a Federal hull though??? I have never looked. I'm sure someone else will tell you the model wad that downrange makes that is shorter, if you ask them. break em all jeff

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've reloaded nothing but compression formed double As forever, and still have plenty of hulls. However the wife has seen pink top gun hulls and put in the request for her own. Well after two months of tryin, I give up. I just cant get a good stack up or crimp. Nothing but AAs from here on out.

What recipe are you using?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17 grs titewad, CB6100 and 1 oz of shot, also tried the CB2100s. Don't seem to have enough volume to fill the case.

the 6100 just drips a few shot, the 2100 is majorly dished.

same load stacks nicely in the compression formed and new style AA hull with the grey CB wads.

haven't been able get my hands on any DR wads to try.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I fought with the CB6100 in TGs as well. Trying to fit 18-19gr of Ramshot Comp underneath wasn’t going to work. I use a DRXXL Orange and a 1oz payload stacks perfect. If I load something with Red Dot In the TGs, I can use the CB6100. It’s all about the stack.

·
Registered
71 Posts
With the top gun hull, is it a paper basewad or a plastic basewad? I reload lots of both and the 6100 wad. Paper basewad has less room than plastic basewad. If paper, titewad may be ok. Plastic needs a bulkier powder like clays or something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need a dense powder to reload the Federals, and the newer AA HS hulls. Your older CF hulls can use bulky powder without a problem. So its change powders, or you need the new shorter wad from Downrange. I'm not sure if this wad works in a Federal hull though??? I have never looked. I'm sure someone else will tell you the model wad that downrange makes that is shorter, if you ask them. break em all jeff
I'm having problems with dishing and shot leakage. feel like I have more volume I need to fill in the federal hull. I think it's mostly a wad selection issue.
With the top gun hull, is it a paper basewad or a plastic basewad? I reload lots of both and the 6100 wad. Paper basewad has less room than plastic basewad. If paper, titewad may be ok. Plastic needs a bulkier powder like clays or something.
plastic base wad

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
I'm having problems with dishing and shot leakage.
My bad, I thought you were having issues with stack height. Not dished crimps.

So either back off your wad pressure some? Or try using a powder that has more bulk?

Which is odd. I heard there were stack height issues with the Walmart 4-pack Federals. I assumed they are the same as the Top Guns. I guess the Top Guns have more interior volume space. Good Luck, and keep us informed. As, I have some Federal 4-pack hulls I would like to reload once and toss out my 391!!! I just have not tried to load them up yet. break em all jeff

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I reloaded several flats of once-fired Top Gun hulls I had accumulated over the years this past winter and spring. It was not a good experience as they really raised hell with my 9000G. It still acts up once in a while. MG1Polo, Curly N and Nebs finally helped me out. Never again.

YMMV
Jon Reitz

·
Supporting Vendor
6,024 Posts
Federal Top Guns are my favorite hull to reload. I do use Clays powder. My wad of choice is Gualandi. The Gualandi wad fits the thin wall Top Gun hull well. Just be sure you use a wad designed for a straight wall hull.

Reactions: dirt stirrer

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've pumped out thousands of these with 18 grains of Red Dot and the CB6100 wad and they come out perfect every time. Easy to load. Titewad is way too dense of a powder to make these work for you. I use a #30 bushing where Titewad is more like a #25 bushing. It is not the shell, it is the powder you are using. You don't mention what wad you are trying as well. Like others have noted these are straight walled hulls and need a different wad to work well. I am thinking you have two strikes against you in trying to make the components you have work well in the hulls you are trying to use. They just won't.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Current stash of reloaded Top Guns - 7/8 oz and 1 oz. Use Vectan A24, AS and Extra-Lite powders; loaded almost 1000 this week.

Plastic basewad with CB6100 or Gualandi EML wads. Paper based with a 12S0 wad for 7/8 oz.

jk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW! I'm amazed by all the replies and knowledge sharing. I'll keep an eye out for some bulkier powder, and give it another go. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
99 Posts

I use 17.5 grains 700x with the cb6100-12 and have no problems. That is in the plastic basewad though. For the paper basewad you need a wad with a shorter crush section to get the Stack height right. I use the 12so clone for 1 oz loads in federal paper basewads.
Hope that helps
Carts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm having problems with dishing and shot leakage. feel like I have more volume I need to fill in the federal hull. I think it's mostly a wad selection issue.

plastic base wad
wonder if you might have to try a 11/8 oz wad instead of a 1oz wad in order to get the correct stack height. That will give you a longer crush section and leave less room for shot. The cb6118-12 would be the same wad just for 1 1/8 oz like I mentioned. Maybe you won’t have dished crimps then
Hope that helps
Carts

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
wonder if you might have to try a 11/8 oz wad instead of a 1oz wad in order to get the correct stack height. That will give you a longer crush section and leave less room for shot. The cb6118-12 would be the same wad just for 1 1/8 oz like I mentioned. Maybe you won’t have dished crimps then
Hope that helps
Carts
You’ve got it backwards. You need a one ounce wad for taller crush section.

Reactions: phatkaw
1 - 20 of 23 Posts