Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got word that Joe Spradley has past. He was a friend to all and a fine shooter. He used to travel to a lot of big shoots over the years and more then held his own against all. A gentleman of the old school, if there was ever any bad to say you wouldn't hear it from him. He was a fine friend, and I own a few of his shotguns he grew out of. He helped me go to a release when I had too. I hope a lot of shooters will remember him fondly. Al Maly

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
Thanks for posting Al, truly the loss of a fine gentleman who will be sorely missed. Always had a positive attitude and a kind word for everyone, and usually a peanut or beef jerky too, lol.
Joe set the ATA record for the oldest person to make the 27 for the first time, quite an accomplishment IMHO.
RIP Joe, and say hi to Herman for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you look up “gentleman” in the dictionary, his picture is there. Never heard a bad word from, or about, him. Until about the time he turned 90 he was always a threat to win our end of the day “dove” shoot. DGSC has suffered another loss, akin to Herman Welch’s passing.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joe would make the end of his gun jump up and down a foot or so after he called for the bird and before he shot, said it helped him not to flinch. True gentleman in every respect.
Joe also shot with his eye aligning the side of his barrel, never looking down it. He could make what ever he was using sing. He was in his late 80's when he won a handicap at the GL grand. When he went up the next year to shoot in the cap, he was ill, but it was something he had to do he said. I was going to go with him, but something came up.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Godspeed Joe. A very nice man indeed. And I just got an enormous smile being reminded about Joe's shooting style

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: K-Hornet

·
Registered
621 Posts
My most sincere condolences to his family and friends, I don't know Joe, but reading what others have posted he sounds like a fine gentleman and given that he was also a trap shoot I have no reason to doubt that he was, I am sure he will be missed.
Take care and be safe all.
Ed

·
Premium Member
10,534 Posts
Could someone post a picture of Mr. Spradley, please. Through the years it seems that there are lot of familiar faces seen at the state shoot or club shoots that some never put a name with.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
So sorry to hear of Joe's passing, always a smile, loved to talk, good shooter, gentleman, They don't make them like Joe anymore, RIP, prayers to his family, lost a great man .....Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Spradley passing. He sounds like a great gentleman. I also would like to see a picture of him to see if I ever met him or shot with him. John.............

1 - 20 of 26 Posts