Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a dumpster diver for both hulls and boxes and have recently found some interesting stuff in the trash cans at registered shoots . I have found both hulls ( which appear to be once fired) and boxes ( which are sealed and not marked as reloads) that would indicated the ammo used were not within ATA rules. I'm not much on the ATA's "Speed Limit" since American Trap is the ONLY game in town that has a speed restriction but , rules are still rules and it seems a lot of folks either don't read the rule book or choose to ignore it in this department. The biggest finds seem to be both Win. and Remington hulls and boxes, that are marked 1300 FPS Sporting Clay loads. Another one is Win. Super Speed 1 oz. loads marked 1350 FPS ( 25 FPS over the limit for 1 oz. loads). I have even some Winchester "Diamond Grade" hulls and boxes. Of course these shells have copper plated shot which is ILLEGAL to use in ATA competition. Usually ,even if somebody is reloading and putting shells in a BOX so marked , Those boxes are marked as reloads with labels showing the reloading data on them ( I know mine are ). As I said ,While I may not be a fan of the ATA's Speed limit" rules, they ARE still RULES and everybody should be following them. If this was just a once in while thing that would really be no big deal but it seems to be happening a lot now.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Some may not know ?
Some don’t care !

Either way, I doubt that which ever kind of shooter it was they probably weren’t much of a threat of winning...

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
...it seems a lot of folks either don't read the rule book...
Amen to that!!!
As I said ,While I may not be a fan of the ATA's Speed limit" rules, they ARE still RULES and everybody should be following them.
I agree but the only way to catch offenders is "in the act." That is, you have to see what's in their shell box while they're waiting to shoot or while they're on the line. And most people are concentrating on what they're doing, and not what others are doing.

I think the crux of the problem is ignorance of the rules.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm fairly new to shooting registered targets. What are the reasons for the particular limitations? I understand that larger shot size could/should travel farther, is that the same basis for the limit on shot speed? How come copper plated shot is illegal? I ask all these questions with the sincere desire to know and understand, not to pester or act ignorant.

Reactions: Rabbit-hunter

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
It could be ignorance, it could just be they've been getting away with it for so long and continue to keep doing it.. Very seldom to see people at a small ATA local shoot looking at the shells some people are using, I swear some reloads I hear from the 27 are moving faster than 1350 twice as loud as super handicaps...I like Henry's question.

·
Registered
814 Posts
And what about reloads? Check the threads on Hodgdons Clays. There could be lots of reloads accidentally ( or intentionally) over the speed limit. How are those shells being checked at an ATA shoot?
Get rid of the speed limits and verify shot load with a simple scale.

I prefer 1145fps but if someone else wants to pound themselves with 1350 fps loads let them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some people will try to gain every little edge, most of the time it's only in their mind that it helps, on practice night we have experimented with faster sporting clay's loads for trap and to be very honest I can't see any difference other than more thump on the back end, an old buddy of mine say's if you cant break them with an 1 1/8 oz at 1250 your in trouble and it isn't the ammo:unsure::unsure: but there will always be those that try to cheat the system:mad:

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
A lot of people (especially the newbies) have never read a rule book
In my experience, it's not just the newbies. Some of the worst offenders (of ignorance of the rules) are people who have been shooting for years, think they know what's in the rule book, and it's wrong because they've never read it!

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
I'm fairly new to shooting registered targets. What are the reasons for the particular limitations? I understand that larger shot size could/should travel farther, is that the same basis for the limit on shot speed? How come copper plated shot is illegal? I ask all these questions with the sincere desire to know and understand, not to pester or act ignorant.
The WHY (muzzle velocity, shot size, plated shot)...I really don't know. International trap allows plated shot. I think NSCA does too. None of the other major organizations (NSSA, NSCA, FITASC, Olympic, etc.) have a muzzle velocity limitation. Only the ATA that I am aware of.

Many clubs have a limitation on shot size, as you mentioned, because of shot travel distance. I believe clubs are generally arranged to allow 300 yards of shot travel, though that is very conservative for 7-1/2 shot.

Reactions: sharptailhunter

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I would say that has a lot to do with it. A lot of people (especially the newbies) have never read a rule book. Some just buy whatever is on sale at the local "Marts".
A significant number of the people on here have never read or even looked at a rule book. It's not any different in any gun club parking lot throughout America.

I am a dumpster diver for both hulls and boxes and have recently found some interesting stuff in the trash cans at registered shoots . I have found both hulls ( which appear to be once fired) and boxes ( which are sealed and not marked as reloads) that would indicated the ammo used were not within ATA rules. I'm not much on the ATA's "Speed Limit" since American Trap is the ONLY game in town that has a speed restriction but , rules are still rules and it seems a lot of folks either don't read the rule book or choose to ignore it in this department. The biggest finds seem to be both Win. and Remington hulls and boxes, that are marked 1300 FPS Sporting Clay loads. Another one is Win. Super Speed 1 oz. loads marked 1350 FPS ( 25 FPS over the limit for 1 oz. loads). I have even some Winchester "Diamond Grade" hulls and boxes. Of course these shells have copper plated shot which is ILLEGAL to use in ATA competition. Usually ,even if somebody is reloading and putting shells in a BOX so marked , Those boxes are marked as reloads with labels showing the reloading data on them ( I know mine are ). As I said ,While I may not be a fan of the ATA's Speed limit" rules, they ARE still RULES and everybody should be following them. If this was just a once in while thing that would really be no big deal but it seems to be happening a lot now.
While true enough that it is breaking the rules, I welcome any and all that want to use rocket launchers for competition from a competitive view. I would hope they, well actually, I would cherish the hope that they used them in the event (probably singles) just prior to the handicap.

While it is a rule (speed versus weight), it is and always has been a silly rule that never had perimeters established for enforcement.

But then maybe as life has and does teach us, natural enforcement happens constantly. Super Handicaps, Nitros, etc when put on the market put a significant number and quickly into release triggers. Shooting a continuous dose of these may very well put them into golf!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I'm thinking that perhaps when they go in the store and see either the STS or AA on the box that they would think they are legal😉 And yes they probably don't pay any attention to it not knowing of the velocity rules

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Pretty hard to enforce if you think of it. Shells that have been fired have nothing for you to check. Shells in one's possession have not been fired so they have not been shot illegally. Sort of a catch 22. Just seems to me a tough rule to try and enforce. Good shooting, Rey

1 - 20 of 76 Posts