Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On or about 8-21-16, Docbombay (Doc) posted an ad as a third party to sell a 31TC. The facts about the 31TC were rather sketchy as they were woven in a comical story about Doc, the D. Lama and the 31TC with some information incorrect. The ad was later deleted approximately three days later. More on that in a moment.
The ad contained excellent photos, so I decided to buy the 31TC and posted "I'll Buy It". The next day Doc sent a PM providing the seller's information. After recognizing the seller and having heard good things about him I had absolute confidence the deal would work smoothly. To me, this was a done deal, so I deleted the "I'll Take It" post to represent the similar intent of a first party seller to indicate there was a verbal contract and the item was no longer available.

Doc assumed I had changed my mind, which was never a consideration on my part. We exchanged some PM's where he insisted I had changed my mind. I insisted that was not true and stated "I fail to see your conclusion that I did not wish to buy the 31TC". After some untrue and unsavory insults hurled at me by Doc, I ceased to exchange PM's believing Doc was having a bad day and did not comprehend what I had just stated about my intent and immediately made contact with the seller without further concern.

I found the seller a very interesting and fine gentleman. After clarifying and providing detailed information about the 31TC, we shared our interests in fine shotguns and other interesting things Bo was involved with. We ended the conversation with a verbal contract when I stated that I would send funds and information Bo needed to send the 31TC to the FFL holder for transfer. Both the funds and information was in the mail the next morning. Could not have asked for an easier transaction. Doc was not mentioned in the conversation by either party.

Two days later I was going to view the ad posted by Doc to verify some information Bo provided regarding the engraving. I was surprised to see the ad deleted but was not concerned as I felt anyone can delete a thread or post as they saw fit. I made the assumption that Doc had perhaps made contact with the seller to confirm the sale was complete? What you won't find me doing is making an invalid assumption as to intent, then posting a thread designed to solicit caustic input. I'll probably never know why the ad was deleted and had no concern. Then I saw the thread Doc had posted: What does "I'll take it" mean?

Seeing Doc's thread, I immediately saw it was not intended to get member feed-back on a simple, well known statement (if anyone had doubt, Webster's was readily available). I felt like the Christmas Ham being attacked
by Tiny Tim. It was intended to misguide member's to believe I had no intent to buy the 31TC and cause harm (see statement I had posted via PM to Doc and the short timeline in which the deal was completed).

Per his thread, in my mind I saw Doc foaming at the mouth, red-faced, arteries bulging, wildly waving the baton as conductor of the "Character Assassination" Orchestra playing his new piece "The 2016 Slander Overture". Every chair in the orchestra was filled, whether it be strings, winds, brass, or percussion. Member's had taken the bait. Relating this behavior reminded me of what led up to the well known world history event termed "Kristallnacht". None of this should ever have occurred, had all parties involved not made erroneous assumptions before going to full attack mode. If my statement "I fail to see your conclusion that I did not wish to buy the 31TC" was not crystal clear I'll have to consider hiring a press agent.

In closing, be it known I have no malice toward anyone and can offer compassion to those who have made mistakes. The 31TC is exactly as Bo described. Probably one of the best transactions of many. The process was a perfect example of the steps representing what "I'll take it" means.

·
Premium Member
12,004 Posts
To me, this was a done deal, so I deleted the "I'll Take It" post to represent the similar intent of a first party seller to indicate there was a verbal contract and the item was no longer available.
I see no reason to delete the "I'll take it." ONLY perhaps to replace it with "the check is in the mail."

Sorry, but I see this as a result of your actions (inaction too?) - Doc was merely trying to help a friend - putting himself in the middle and your pulling the post created an awkward situation. Clarity would have gone a long way on this one, especially when a third party was involved.

That being said I am glad it worked out and kudos to you for calmly bringing your side to the table.

·
Well known trouble maker
2,730 Posts
What a crock!

Still won't take ownership for your actions will you ?

To me, this was a done deal, so I deleted the "I'll Take It" post to represent the similar intent of a first party seller to indicate there was a verbal contract and the item was no longer available.
What kind of gibberish rational is that? You really believe anyone is going to buy that nonsense?

You can't have it both ways. In a PM to me you state that the reason you deleted your "I'll take It" post was "I decided to delete my post to avoid any debate that it would influence someone's decision to seek more information." Verbal contract? Get real!

You can't dodge this one bossbasl.

Here is your PM once again.

boss to use.jpg

You claim here it was a done deal, a verbal contract had been reached. The PM above proves other wise as you want more information before making a "buying decision."

I ask again, what if every other member here posted "I'll Take It" on a for sale thread and then later deleted the post because they need more information? It is wrong and you know it!! You just won't man up and admit it.

I did not mention your name in my "what does I'll take it thread" but I am glad that your name is out in the open now. And since it is, let's see how the forum members react to your post trying to justify your actions. Have we forgotten the following?

bossbas2.jpg

Do you still believe your actions would not deter other interested buyers? If you do not buy any shotgun without knowing a bit about it then why on gods earth would you ever post "I'll Take It" before obtaining the information.

So once again fellow forum members the question is being asked who is in the right here. I think it is a no brainer. He can try and rationalize his behavior all he wants. It just does not pass the smell test.

If the majority of follow up posts here side with bossbasl and feel "I'll Take It" simply means I will contact the seller for more information" then I will issue a formal apology.

If the majority of follow up posts here think "I'll Take It" means you have purchased the item then bossbasl you owe not only me an apology but you need to put on your big boy shorts and man up and admit you were wrong.

And that is the REAL STORY!

·
Premium Member
12,004 Posts
"I am very interested in the shotgun - sounds exactly what I am looking for - but I do have some questions for the owner. How might I be in touch with him??

May I say 'I'll take it - conditionally?' pending a bit more info?? - Perhaps a right of first refusal?"

Would have been a much better post.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Why start a crap throwing contest, you ever hear of mountains and mole hills. Bottom line a gun was advertised for a friend(to avoid the 50 post requirement I assume), the gun was sold and buyer and seller are happy. Should be end of story.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Holy Chit...............I said, he said ,you said.................................c0mic relief @ it's finest.............Thanks Lads for the entertainment !!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,261 Posts
Since you both want our opinions, here is mine. The phrase " I'll take it" should have been worded differently. I can see where that wording might have stopped another potential buyer and would give Doc the impression that the gun was sold at that point. We should all take this incident as an example to make sure our communications to each other are clearly understood. Glad the deal went through as promised in that first posting and both the buyer and seller are happy with the transaction.

Reactions: KS-OKIE and Gussers

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sounds like "somebody" (either party) may have jumped to conclusions before checking out the facts, ie simply just asking the seller what (if any) arrangements had been made.

I was also interested (slightly) in this gun, a day or so later I sent a PM to Doc as per his post request and received a response from him. That worked for me. Mix-ups do happen. Ross Puls

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
The thing I see, is don't post for sale ads for someone else. No good deed goes unpunished.
I tend to agree with this. I'm glad this one worked out, but not without consequences, unfortunately. I prefer to stay away from any third party deal, whether it be on here or any other site, or FTF. Just seems always better to deal with the seller directly. Lesson learned for these guys maybe on this one???

The words "I'll take it" should mean just that. No if's, and's, or butt's or conditions.

I don't know either of these fellas personally...yet, but I do tend to think they are both good ones, and hopefully this doesn't tarnish any future transactions for either of them.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Good communication is hard to do. Everybody involved could have done a better job. The sale was effective. Eat a piece of humble pie and move on. I know all about the pie part from communication at work. It ain't easy.
I think this is the first time I have agreed with what you said. You are correct IMO

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
Ok. So when is the sequel coming out?
ITI, The REAL, real story.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts