Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't witness this personally, but saw the results. Shooter was having a feeding problem with a 20 GA 870 and when he shucked out the shell in the mag, it hit the ground and the primer struck a pebble or something in just the right way and bingo!! No one was hurt as the shot just "poofed" out of the shell (a factory gun club) without any force. Witnesses say the shell just sort of fizzed and sparked. Don't think anyone ruined their shorts!!
Doc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
If you look on YouTube you can find FD training videos showing what happens when huge piles of ammunition are set on fire. Not much happens, certainly not what is depicted by Hollywood.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
When I was a kid one of the local genius's threw a big rock at a 22 cartridge. Ended up with a slug in his leg for his trouble.

Bill

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Yes it has no contained pressure, But its still startling,

Back in my youth we would lay shells in the crotch of a tree and hit them with the BB gun.

NOT the results we were looking for. Hollywood has better stuff.. LOL

DGH

·
Registered
408 Posts
Had a 22lr round cook off 2 feet away from me once. The only part of the shell that did'nt move was the slug. The heaviest part moves very little, simple physics.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
In the case of brass cartridges, the releasing energy takes the path of least resistance. In this case, it is the brass case as opposed to the bullet itself. Shot shells are very disappointing outside the chamber. We learned these things early on in our experimenting years growing up. Still a wonder how I have all my appendages and both of eyes from the crap we did as kids.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
2oneight,

Your story is better, last summer I saw:

1. A guy fire at a target, missed, but the wad continued on and bounced off of the bird.

and probably less remarkable,

2. The 50 yard stakes at our club are those winter drive-way markers, about 1/4" in diameter, about 3 ft long. I watched a target sail out and land perfectly on the top of the stake and shatter.

Maybe this happens all the time? I kept thinking, "What are the odds?"

Bob Falfa

·
Premium Member
11,852 Posts
Isn't that the truth. Never wore a helmet while riding my bicycle, either.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yes it has no contained pressure, But its still startling,

Back in my youth we would lay shells in the crotch of a tree and hit them with the BB gun.

NOT the results we were looking for. Hollywood has better stuff.. LOL

DGH
We nailed shotshells to the top of fence posts and shot at them with a BB gun. Was fun but yea no big boom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
Amazing all the crap we tried as kids and are still here 40 years later to laugh about it....unlike today where nobody does anything and they are afraid of their shadows.
BTW...Bottle rocket fights were the best...LOL
Reap

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
We made bazookas, using conduit or other small diameter pipe for a bottlerocket. The grips and "buttstock" were wood, held on by whatever was expedient. Accuracy sucked, but was better than trying to shoot them from a bottle.

Bottlerockets were also fun to tape to paper airplanes. Didn't matter if they got damaged when the rocket blew up. When using the cheap balsa wood gliders you learned quickly the wings would not stand up to bottlerocket "engines" taped to them, but the thicker fuselage might last for a couple of flights. The best way was to use cardboard and extend the bottlerocket below the fuselage. And the flight path was truer if the bottlerocket was near the nose, instead of at the tail.

We'd also gather up all our Hot Wheels track and set up a strip about a block long. The tape bottlerockets to the tops of the cars, like little JATO units. hard on the paint and plastic windows, but fun.

Then there's the hairspray flamethrower for melting green plastic army men and torching "enemy" Matchbox and Hot Wheels vehicles.

I remember building a really nice 1/48 scale Huey copter. Then got the brilliant idea of simulating battle damage with a firecracker. My buddy says, hey, I have some M80s. So we stuck an M80 inside it. Never found a single piece.

Reactions: dgh and Trapereaper

·
Registered
531 Posts
We'd also gather up all our Hot Wheels track and set up a strip about a block long. The tape bottlerockets to the tops of the cars, like little JATO units. hard on the paint and plastic windows, but fun.
Hell yes....that was fun...lol

Then there's the hairspray flamethrower for melting green plastic army men and torching "enemy" Matchbox and Hot Wheels vehicles.
Wish my mother could read this post so she could see I was normal...she still thinks im wrong in the head...lol

I remember building a really nice 1/48 scale Huey copter. Then got the brilliant idea of simulating battle damage with a firecracker. My buddy says, hey, I have some M80s. So we stuck an M80 inside it. Never found a single piece.

This was the best....I did that but it was in my bedroom:eek: I had pieces of airplane literally embedded in the wood frame to my bed. My dad lost his mind....ROFLMAO

Those were great times....Thank you for that post!

Reap

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
If you look on YouTube you can find FD training videos showing what happens when huge piles of ammunition are set on fire. Not much happens, certainly not what is depicted by Hollywood.
Here is the link. A very interesting video and one to have on hand to educate others.
SAAMI

·
Registered
365 Posts
there was always the guy that would bet he could shoot a trap load into a paper bag and catch every bb in the bag. Then he would chamber a round in his m12, flip the pin and pull the barrel off, stick the receiver in a bag and pulled the trigger. Pooff and the bb's are in the bag

·
Supporting Vendor
10,241 Posts
When I was a kid, one of my friends took a .22 cartridge, stuck it in the V of a tree and took a lighter to it. The casing blew a hole in his hand and he had to be taken to the ER. There, the police met up with him because of the powder burns and the doctor ruled it as a gun shot wound. Doug had some explaining to do

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
after cleaning a paint brush, i tossed to the bumper of my truck to drip dry, it bounced and stood on end on the bristles!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Back in the early 70es a boy from ca. came to live in west md. i think to stay out of jail but he said his brother came back from V. N. and for a $1.00 he would show us how to make a phony bazooka,i paid him and he showed us how to remove both ends of 6 pop cans and leave the end on the last 1 tape together put small hole near the end and put lighter fluid in the hole spin around to get the fumes in tube and lite hole BOOM.In a couple days you couldnt step out the house without hearing one going off in town,we probaly made alot of enemies but you had to drive 18 mile to get a can of lighter all summer.We found out a tennis ball can fit over the cans and could send them a 100yds.Everything went good till one boy stuck his in water to see what it would do when he told his brother to lite it it took the back can off and hit his brother in the chest,took him off his feet and he took awhile to get his breathe.We are all still alive 61yrs old and down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts