Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If one can routinely break 25 Straight with their 12 gauge Browning Citori using 1 ounce of #8 at 1,145 fps...

If properly fitted and installed 28 gauge Briley tubes are put in the same Citori...

Is there any reason one cannot routinely break 25 Straight with the 28 gauge Briley tubes using 1 ounce of #8 at 1,145 fps ?

Same choke, of course.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hammer, pattern it at 30 yds, this is close to were you should break a 16 yd target. I believe you will find that the 28 patterns much wider, due to shot scrub and other forces in that small a barrel, John #8703697

·
Registered
923 Posts
Probably not. The gun is going to weigh more/be less responsive/be more nose-heavy, the shot will probably have more deformation and in my case, the confidence issue would screw me up. Ron

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
In the 70s, the 1970s, a skilled shootist visited the Martinez, CA club and boasted he could break most of our birds from 30 yards with a skeet .410 and skeet loads with 9s from a factory. We all wanted to see this happen and watched as he broke 18 of 25 from approx. 30 yards shooting .410 caliber Winchester skeet loads. This was not a factory shill who would shoot for a job - just a good, confident shooter.....Bdodd

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I shot the 28 gauge deal at the grand, I think I hit 45 out of 50.. and the targets were really hit hard.. I see no reason you couldnt..

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Probably not but 1 Oz 28 gauge shells don't work all that well. The 3/4 Oz load is much better.

But there is no reason you can't break a 25x25 on singles with the subguage set up.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Why? With 28 ga hulls at $.15 ea why use them to make up a 1 oz load in a tubed 12 ga gun when you can load 1 oz in a 12 ga hull?

I am working on a 1 oz 28 ga load for hunting as it is nice to carry a 5 1/2 lb gun. Cannot see the point of using it to shoot clays birds.

Don Verna

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I took my 28ga to the club once last year. Broke 21/25 with 3/4oz 8's from 16.

I also made it to final five in an annie shooting 7/8 oz copper plated 6s. Really pi$$ed the guys off when I shot them out.

Only gun I carry for pheasants.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I broke a pair of 85s last year with 2 different 28 gauges. And that was after a 17 year lay off from trap shooting. Can it be done...yes. Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
There was some discussion here a while back about the most efficient shot charge was when it was square. ie:the same height as diameter. That is one ounce in 12 guage. My memory could be wrong. Jimmy Borum

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
Jimmy

I think its 1 ounce in a 16 gauge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.