Trapshooters Forum banner

Idiot of The Day Award

3571 18
I don’t normally tell off on myself as I can get p o ed pretty easy, but this boner deserves criticism and I won’t be doing it again. I recently bought a nice Browning and I’ve got maybe two boxes of shells through it. Well, I was at the club yesterday and a new member was shooting. He’s a nice young man and trying to learn to shoot trap. He had a new Beretta semi auto field gun with a modified choke. Needless to say he wasn’t breaking very many targets. I asked if he would like to shoot my gun as it’s more suitable for trap and has the proper choke. He said sure I‘d like that. So I gave him my gun and told him to have at it. In my eagerness to help him, I neglected to notice his hearing protection. Ear Muffs! I hate the things. Every time he shouldered the gun I heard that click, the sound of that muff hitting the stock. I thought oh God, he’s scratching or denting the stock on my new gun! Needless to say I was on pins and needles until he got done. I just didn’t have the heart to stop him. When he got done, he was grinning from ear to ear as he broke a decent score. He thanked me for the coaching and the use of the gun. When he walked off, I looked my new gun over and not a scratch. I made a note to self, idiot don’t ever do that again! I have an old beater trap gun for loan. I’ll be using that one in the future and keep my nice ones to myself.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,974 Posts
I know the feeling, but let’s put into perspective. How do old “beater guns” become old beater guns? Use, that’s how.

So I agree take reasonable care of your stuff. It WILL get a scratch or dent sooner or later. I suspect you helped keep someone inclined to continue shooting trap. Someday you have that stock refinished and remember that kid kicking your *** out on the line.

He’ll remember too.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Was watching the World Championship Bunker type shoot-off a few years ago on TS.Com. 5 of the last 6 shooters were wearing muffs. The Russian guy wore nothing. Shooter from the UAE had huge ears painted on his muffs; very funny.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I know the feeling, but let’s put into perspective. How do old “beater guns” become old beater guns? Use, that’s how.

So I agree take reasonable care of your stuff. It WILL get a scratch or dent sooner or later. I suspect you helped keep someone inclined to continue shooting trap. Someday you have that stock refinished and remember that kid kicking your *** out on the line.

He’ll remember too.
I know what you mean. If you shoot one you're going to get some wear. Honest wear I can handle. On hunting guns it often reminds me of a hunt I enjoyed. Rack dings or some jackwagon not watching and causing a ding or worse makes my blood boil.

· Premium Member
13,743 Posts
What's wrong with using Modified from 16?
Shouldn't be anything. I think the issue was that it was a field gun. That will make a huge difference. They usually shoot much flatter and if a guy has been taught to see the target higher he is bound to miss. I started shooting trap with a full choked Remington Model 31 field gun. I had to completely cover the target to hit anything. Not so with my Berettas.

Reactions: Wildgene

· Registered
2,988 Posts
I don’t normally tell off on myself as I can get p o ed pretty easy, but this boner deserves criticism and I won’t be doing it again. I recently bought a nice Browning and I’ve got maybe two boxes of shells through it. Well, I was at the club yesterday and a new member was shooting. He’s a nice young man and trying to learn to shoot trap. He had a new Beretta semi auto field gun with a modified choke. Needless to say he wasn’t breaking very many targets. I asked if he would like to shoot my gun as it’s more suitable for trap and has the proper choke. He said sure I‘d like that. So I gave him my gun and told him to have at it. In my eagerness to help him, I neglected to notice his hearing protection. Ear Muffs! I hate the things. Every time he shouldered the gun I heard that click, the sound of that muff hitting the stock. I thought oh God, he’s scratching or denting the stock on my new gun! Needless to say I was on pins and needles until he got done. I just didn’t have the heart to stop him. When he got done, he was grinning from ear to ear as he broke a decent score. He thanked me for the coaching and the use of the gun. When he walked off, I looked my new gun over and not a scratch. I made a note to self, idiot don’t ever do that again! I have an old beater trap gun for loan. I’ll be using that one in the future and keep my nice ones to myself.
I never loan my guns to anyone..........especially to people with low slung ears :cool:.

· Registered
117 Posts
You're lucky, I tried out a pair of Peltor electronic muffs a couple of months ago and noticed my cheek was being pinched.
After the round I see my comb has several small gouges and there is blood on my shirt. Cut my cheek while damaging my gun. Live and learn!

· Registered
12,998 Posts
Good for you. The young man will have a positive memory. Too many times there are folks who forget we all had to start and were beginners at some point. Unless we help the beginners at some point the sport will die ! I have seen some grumps turn off a lot of people ( especially kids) ! You get a gold star for being one of the nice guys !

· Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I guess in the long run it doesn’t matter. It’s only a gun and I have the skills to fix any scratches. As was said earlier, it was worth it to help the guy out. He was back at the club today shooting. Doing better. I asked him if he remembered my teaching and he laughed and said well about 10 % of it. I told him he looked to be shooting pretty good today. I think he retained more than he admitted. Perhaps I planted a seed that needs constant water. I can handle that if he will keep coming back.

· Registered
23 Posts
I never hand a gun to anyone with big rings on for the same reason. I don’t even wear a wedding band when I’m shooting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.