Identity Stolen - What to do? | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Identity Stolen - What to do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by eric, Jun 30, 2020.

1. eric

eric Well-Known Member

My identity was stolen and a checking/saving account was opened in an out of state bank. Fortunately the bank caught and deleted the account and notified me. Whats troubling is they had my full name, address, DOB and SSN number. My Identity Theft policy (that I pay for) did not catch it but I notified them and a "lock" has been put on my Credit Bureau Reports for one year. What else can be done?

2. Jim Meverden

Jim Meverden Active Member

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Just pick another name. Something cool this time, like Eric Clapton or Eric Burdon. You need to look at this in the glass is half full mindset.

jk80, 9manfan, Harv Shell and 5 others thanked this.
  4. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

I was thinking John Wick.

Something similar happened to me. It’s been reported so just start over. PITA but it’ll work out...

ric3677 thanked this.
  5. Ken C.

Ken C. Well-Known Member

I had somebody try and open a credit card in my name. I needed to file a police report in the municipality I live in. It was a major PITA, and took 4-6 months to get under control. Change all your passwords as well!!

eric thanked this.
  6. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

They should be experts, they've been hacked several times including hosting a website that sold a half million people's info.

7. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

I had someone file for unemployment under my name just recently. I wish the bastard good luck getting any money since I’m self employed. Also had someone charge 6 new I-phones to my cellular bill. The charges were made in California and they shipping address was in Illinois.
    It’s scary the information that some of these hackers can get access to. I used to do a lot of automatic withdrawals for bill pays. Still do some of them but now like to get actual paper in hand and look at them after finding some bogus charges like on the phone bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A customer of a friend of mine got so turned around and upside down in getting his identity stolen he ended up having to LEGALLY CHANGE HIS NAME to get it all straightened out.

To me that represents the ultimate loss, the financial stuff will get ironed out eventually (pain in the ass, but most financial companies are so used to it by now it shouldn't be the end of the world to get corrected), but to have someone actually rob you of your name, that your parents gave you and no one should ever be able to take, represents a whole other level in my mind.

9. Gussers

Gussers Thorn in your side TS Supporters

An easy way to avoid any kind of stolen identity problems is to stay broke. I have no money, so no one wants to be me. (hell, sometimes I don't want to be me) Worked for 51 years, I guess I will keep up the trend.

Seriously though, it is scary what they can get a hold of and do to a persons credit and life in a short amount of time.

jk80 and Doubles Shooter thanked this.
  10. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Well-Known Member

Change your name to George Floyd. Instead of stealing FROM you, they will be looting FOR you.

391 shooter thanked this.
  11. Orangejeep

Orangejeep Active Member

Had this happen to me a year or so ago. Someone got my info and tried to take out a bunch of credit cards in my name. One of the credit card companies that had been applied to checked my credit score and saw that there were several inquiries which prompted them to contact me to see if this was all legit. When they contacted me they called on my wifes cell phone so I'm really not sure how they even got that number. Neither her nor I usually answer a call from a number we don't know but for some reason she did and thank goodness. I had to file a police report with my local PD and then I had to put a credit freeze on my credit report with Experian, Equifax, & TransUnion. When I started to look into my credit report, I saw that a few of the cards had been issued! I had to call all of them and report them. A few days later we go a notice in the mail from the post office stating that they could not complete our mail forwarding request without coming into the post office??? Yea, these bastards tried to have the new cards sent to some row house in Baltimore!
    There is no end to what some people will try to do and get away with. It's been a pain in the arse to say the least because when I do need to apply for credit now, like buying a car, I have to go in and unlock my credit reports so the lender can see it and then lock it back up.

eric thanked this.
  12. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Talk to the 3 big credit reporting agencies (Equifax, TransUnion and Experian) and set up security freezes with all three. You can lock and unlock the freezes online using a user-name and password. These are the agencies banks and businesses contact to check your credit rating prior to opening any account. If you have the report frozen the banks and businesses will not open the account and should contact you regarding the attempt.

Security Freeze | Freeze or Unfreeze Your Credit | Equifax®
    Security Freeze Center at Experian
    Credit Freeze | Freeze My Credit | TransUnion

eric thanked this.