Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a date of birth and a model name for a cool 22 rifle.

Some months back I bought an earlier (pre model number) Anschutz 22 rifle. It's marked JGA on the receiver ring for Julius Gottfried Anschutz, but no real model number. Serial number is 2xxx which combined with the JGA stamp and the little information I've found online seems to make for a date of manufacture sometime in the 1930's. One of the online gun auction sites had one with set triggers like these and this style of stock that they referred to as a 'stalking rifle', so for now I'm using that as a 'model'.

It shoots one inch groups at 25 yards with open sights and is really light with great balance, a fun little rifle that gets great double-takes on the range.

JGA 1.jpg
JGA 2.jpg
JGA 3.jpg
JGA 4.jpg

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Never hurts to unloosen the action screw and remove the barreled action from the stock. You may find codes underneath.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crown N is a pre-war commercial proof mark. In 1939 or 40 it went to an Eagle over N.
You're right on the money!
It took a magnifying glass and a confirmation using my wife's eyeballs - but this it.
JGA 6.jpg

Never hurts to unloosen the action screw and remove the barreled action from the stock. You may find codes underneath.
Next step is to carefully hollow grind some thinner screwdriver blades to match the screws.

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a gunsmith screwdriver set. They aren't that expensive and can be mighty handy to have around.
I've got the Brownell's set, just short on the thin blades. You're absolutely right to have dedicated gunsmith screwdrivers - out of all the smith tools I think they're the most important.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rifle is disassembled.
Inside the barrel channel on the stock is the correct serial number. On the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring is the single number 5. That number 5 is also on the underside of the bolt handle. The proof mark discussed above is also on the right side of the receiver and on the bolt itself.

I wonder if it's possible that '5' means the last number of the year built? In this case could it mean 1915, 1925 or 1935? On their website the current Anschutz company says they'll research your firearm - for over $100.

World War II means records for the era in question are spotty, currently I'm wearing out google.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts