Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since in can get somewhat boring being snowed/iced in your mountain top home for 2 days, I want to express many thanks to the Georgia DOT, the Governor of Georgia and the Mayor of Atlanta for providing non-stop Comic Relief on Television. To say that this storm resulted in a political cluster f _ _ _ _ is an understatement. However, it has provided continued TV entertainment for me and my wife for the past 24 hours.

blade819

·
Registered
263 Posts
I live in Kingsland Ga, so far we missed the bad stuff. Used to
live in WV and we did`t miss any snow or ice.
Leonard

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't imagine be stranded on a Highway driving a school bus with 30 kids in it for 17 hours?

blade819

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
We have dodged the last two ice storms they went south of us, but we did get nailed with the first one, we have a genset so we had power, but the down side is it only runs the house and my puter is in a shop about 1/2 mile away, so I was stuck in the house if I wanted to use a puter, and it is my wife's laptop and I hae it

What I got so tired of hearing/seeing is some dumb ass talking head standing on an over pass telling us it was icy, and they do it over and over and over

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Catpower
They do the same Sh--! in Boise, Idaho. They stand on an overpass or beside the interstate with either rain or snow falling and tell what is going on. On the plus side, at least when they are talking about the weather, they are not praising all the dumbA-- politicians.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now the second installment of Atlanta Comic Relief is on TV. The Mayor stated "Hey Bro, the Interstates that run thru Atlanta ain't my responsibility"! The Governor is lying his ass off claiming there wasn't enough of a warning and Al Roker took him to task and just about called him a liar on National TV. All of the local weathermen are up in arms. They warned ATL early Monday morning.

blade819

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Also on national TV it was stated that there was similar incident in 2011 with nearly identical results.

·
Registered
233 Posts
So they told the politicians, but they didn't tell all the people who were trying to drive in it? Thousands upon thousands of people who heard it are ticked because the politicians didn't stop a storm? I left FL Monday and drove hard to make sure I got north of it before Tuesday. What if everybody who lived there had actually taken some responsibility for their own safety instead of creating a nightmare for emergency personnel and blaming their misfortune on someone else?
Dave

·
Molon Labe
11,993 Posts
Is Al and all the other irate weatherpersons now claiming they are always right?

So should they shut down everything before it happens because a weather guesser told them it would happen?

Would it be better to shut down everything because a storm might come?

Easy to point fingers and not take any responsibility, and blame the giverment

·
Registered
704 Posts
What gets me is Atlanta said they did not know the ice storm was coming. Well the whole national knew it was coming 4 to 5 days before the storm. I do not know how the Weather Channel kept this a secret from the residents of Atlanta. I thought the Weather Channel's home base was in Atlanta. No wonder the south lost the Civil War.

Catpower, answer to your question is YES

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Can you imagine the babies delivered next October/November due to this storm.

Population of Atlanta alone will double.

So, you be real careful, blade819!

;o !

·
Registered
546 Posts
Was the big problem actually an ice storm. I live in NW PA, and the 2 1/2" of snow they are mentioning would hardly be noticed. Ice however is a different matter.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just another example of Chicken Little, " the sky is falling, the sky is falling". Yeah, right, Well this time it did. Katrina did it , Sandy did it, and there will be others. No matter how much warning or who warns, people know better , especially politicians. In the 70s, I was plowing what was supposed to be an 8 inch snowfall. At 17 inches it was still snowing and the forecaster, Uncle Weathbye (?), said it would stop soon. At 20 inches, I was sitting in my truck asking G-ds forgiveness, when he calmly said he will let us know how much were were getting when it finally stopped. Governor called state of emergency, and idiots were still out driving and running up in front of my plow. Manager of one big lot , said bury any cars left there as he had told the commercial tenants to take their cars out before it started. There were some big lumps in the lot that year. I have friends in GA who were smart and stayed home and kept their kids home, and others who did not and spent 18 hrs in a PUBLIX. On ice it is called no wheel drive unless you have studs or chains ( do they still make them? ) Man , I am old.

Be safe out there.

Rich K- chemist

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
On ice there are times when a 4 wheel drive will put you in the ditch just as fast a 2 wheel drive. More than once I've switched back to 2 wheel drive to get home.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
likes-to-shoot, that's why I run four heavy truck chains on my FJ40. In this pic only the rear is chained up and it wasn't enough. The snow wasn't too deep (except in the drifts) but it was covered with ice, which partially melted. That's about as slick as you can get. Without chains on the front tires I had trouble driving out of icy ruts. The front tires could not get a 'bite' on the rut walls. Chained up the front too and had no further problems. My Land Cruiser was one of the few rigs that was able to get around. Lots of vehicles stuck, slide into ditches, and abandoned.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many problems were rolled into one. The Weather Bureau, unlike what the Governor stated, declared a Winter Storm Warning very early Monday morning at least 6 hours before it hit. The SCHOOLS should all have been cancelled and they weren't. Then everyone was told to leave work, businesses, schools at one time on Tuesday driving on un pre treated roads at the same time. That's what caused the problem. Atlanta or the Georgia DOT/Atlanta had 44 salt/cinder trucks and 40 snow removal trucks to service 5 Interstates, local state hwys and local streets. Eighty four trucks to service almost 6 million people. Then to make matters worse, the lying ass Governor yesterday afternoon on TV stated that there wasn't sufficient warning when the first alert was put out Sunday evening. Someone will not get re-elected because of this. Look what happened in Chicago in about 1978 or so. An incumbent Mayor literally lost re-election because of the way he handled the winter storm of 77. The blame game is still going on.

blade819

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Let me get this straight.

This big hoohaw is all caused by a whole 2.5" of snow? That is just barely enough for a little kid to make snow angels! Is everyone in that part of the country completely helpless, or just stupid? I usually don't even lock the hubs for that little.

Around here, we are brining the main roads before a storm, plowing and sanding during, and salting to melt compact snow after. For a mere 2.5", we would only do the highways and school bus routes, and everything else would be left until we had the highways and bus routes bare and dry. By that time, everyone has adjusted their driving style, and we don't usually have to rush to do secondary and side roads.

Decent tires, slower, consistent speeds, and a little common sense and courtesy would have gone a long way to alleviate the traffic woes I have seen on TV, and people taking personal responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof), instead of blaming government for not doing it all for them, would make those of us looking on perhaps a little more sympathetic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts